We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

Which Zhuhai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockford
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

Hello,

I will be in Hong Kong and Macau in June I was thinking about visiting Guangzhou for a day trip. I would like to visit Zhuhai as well and I know you can get a Visa at Gonbei for three days, which is more than enough, but I don't know if it's possible to go to Guangzhou on that visa.

I was thinking about taking a bus or the train. If that is not possible, any ideas? Is there a way to get a 72-hour free visa for Guangzhou similar to Shanghai?

Obviously, the easiest thing would be getting a regular Chinese visa at a consulate, but I'm trying to avoid that. It is inconvenient for me to go twice to the consulate (no more same-day pick-up and I don't trust the postal service). Also, I recently got a 2-entry Chinese visa: I'm visiting Beijing and North Korea in April and I mentioned I was intending to visit Guangzhou in June (no booked tickets yet, though). Still I get just two entries to go to Beijing, North Korea, and back to Beijing. I guess they thought: if you want to visit in June, come back and get a new visa...

So I'm not going through that hassle. If there's an easy way to visit Guangzhou I will do it, otherwise, I will cross to Zhuhai, see the fishing lady statue, eat some noddles, and leave.

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,743 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

Sorry, the Zhuhai 3 day visa does not extend to cover Guangzhou (or even Zhongshan); you would need either to get the full mainland visa or join a tour to take advantage of the group visa rate.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

Yes, it is similar like in Shanghai and Beijing. Passport holders of a list of countries can stay 72 hours without the need a visa if in transit, arriving and leaving by plane. So you would need to fly in and out.

Why they only gave you two entries? There is no triple entry visa available and no option for you as a touris to get a multiple entry visa. Visa types are single entry, double entry and multiple entry.

Rockford
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

I see... So if I want to do the visa free for Guangzhou, I will have to fly from country A to Guangzhou to country B, right? I can't do Hong Kong to Guangzhou to Hong Kong. But can I do something like Macau to Guangzhou to Hong Kong?

I didn't know that tourists don't get multiple entry visas. I sent an email to the consulate asking about this and they responded that I could apply for any kind of visa and then the consular officer would decide based on my circumstances. Anyway, if a tourist can't do a multiple entry... does that mean that it's impossible for a tourist to plan a one week trip to Guangzhou and then one day go to Macau and back and then another day go to Hong Kong and back (I just made up an example of a trip to China that would require more than two entries)?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,259 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

cookie2011 above has wrong information. Of course you can get a multiple-entry visa as a tourist, this is what I always get. However it is difficult to get as a first-timer. The exception is for Americans who get one by just asking,

Just go from Macao to HK without passing through China and you are fine.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

cookie2011 does not have wrong information.....

With just the intention to go again the TO will not get a multiple entry. Also maybe for other reasons.....

Anyway. popcalent, i doubt they just wanted to make you come again. You have to be very precise what you want to get. On the application form you could tick multiple, but they still do not need to grant it. If you tick double, you will not get multiple, also not if you say "may be I go again....". Just my experience.

Not sure if there are flights from Macau to GZ and GZ to HK, but it would be too much effort.

Still you could check with an agency in HK how long it takes for you to get a mainland visa. Last update I received was 3-4 days currently. No Express or Rush visa at the moment. But this can change and be different depending on the nationality.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,391 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

My wife and I have 2 years multiple chain visa, my mother too as first time tourist, I know at least a dozen or more Americans with same, regardless of origins or colors, first or frequent visitors, business or tourists, started in 2013. In my mother's case, she did not even ask for multiple.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

As Jean-Pierre D mentioned, "The exception is for Americans who get one by just asking" and maybe even if not asking. A little strange, because Americans die not get a preferred treatment at HK or for SZ SEZ visa so far, but rather had problems to get a visa there. As usual, there is no guarantee that all embassies do it in the same way, not even in the same country. The TO obviously was not that lucky and a friend of mine also did not get a multiple entry visa, even after three attempts.

Anyway, the TO has a double entry already and would need to go to the consulate again to get another or a different visa.

Good to know that it is possible for Americans to get two years and multiple without any problems. Maybe it would be helpful to post more information about the city of the consulates which issue this.

Rockford
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

I'm not going from Macao to HK through China I was just giving an example of a trip that would require more than two entries to see if in that case they would grant a visa with multiple entries.

Anyway, I'm not a first-timer. I got a single entry visa two years ago which I already used. I used the 72-hour visa free policy to visit Shanghai twice last year. And I've been to HK and Macau before, which are not China, but would make them think that someone who's been this many times to China and surrounding territories is more prone to visiting China more frequently. Not to mention that my passport was full of China/HK/Macau stamps and other countries (Taiwan, Korea, Japan, etc.) which showed that I visit Asia pretty often. I understand that having thousands of stamps and two Chinese visas on my passport is not evidence enough of a future trip but stil...

And by the way, about Americans getting a visa just asking... I'm not American but I got my visas from the Chinese consulate in Chicago, and everyone in line ahead of me had problems at the window. They either didn't get the visa, or needed extra evidence, or what not. In my case it just took 2 minutes. And the other advantage is that I only paid $30 for the visa and not the $140 Americans pay. So it's something.

Rockford
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

Originally I was going to go to Vietnam for vacation through Hong Kong, and in the way back spend a week in Hong Kong to revisit Hong Kong, Macau, and then Guangzhou for the first time.

I think what I will do is change the flight from Vietnam to Hong Kong (I haven't booked it yet) and fly from Vietnam to Guangzhou, stay there for a couple of days with the 72-hour visa, then fly to Hong Kong for four/five days and back to Chicago.

That if there's flights from Vietnam to Guangzhou and they're not like $3000. Even if the whole thing overall is a little bit more expensive than just getting a visa at the consulate in Chicago at least I will save one page on my passport.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,391 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Guangzhou from Zhuhai with a Zhuhai Visa (VOA)

It is reciprocal, you give my people easy visa, I give your people easy visa, you charge my folks an arm and a leg, I charge your guys same. I just sent our passports to freechomavisa.com, they did all for us and got them back in a week. We visited china 30 times on business, but I don't think they really care, people sitting at desk stamping 3000 passports a day follow the rules, unless if you rude, then they will make it fun for you.