We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

Rockford
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

Hello,

I'll spend a couple of days in Macau and I would like to visit Zhuhai, while I'm there. I know about the VoA and the RMB163 but I'd like to know the border and visa office times.

I visited Zhuhai from Macau two years ago but the circumstances were different: I had a M entry Chinese visa but this time I need to apply. I'm sure I read somewhere border opens around 8 AM but visa office opens around 10 AM (so no need to show up at 8 AM without a visa). But I want to make sure about the exact times. Also, when do they close the border?

I will visit on weekday in June. What wait should I expect? Last time I visited on a Saturday in April, and a friend of mine told me it would take a couple of hours to cross the border because of the crowds: it took five minutes.

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,052 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

I am pretty sure the visa office is open the same hours as the Border - ie 8 am to midnight. You have never mentioned what passport you hold as it might determine whether you can get one for 168 or more (UK passports pay 304).

On weekdays the "tidal flow" is workers from Zhuhai to Macau in the morning and back from 6pm so you shouldn't have too much trouble going the opposite way. I've never got through in under 20 minutes - it takes me 10 min to walk between the 2 customs posts! - but I'm always going WITH the tide. The problem for us is on the Macau side, where suddenly all the Mainlanders become "v

Rockford
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

I hold a EU passport, not UK. I remember I checked once an official Chinese website with the border/office opening times, and it listed my nationality as one of the ones they got the VoA for RMB168. But I can't find that website!

I've even checked several Chinese consulates/embassies websites and I can't find any information on this regards.

I have one separate question, since you're a destination expert for Zhuhai. How safe is to ride on somebody's motorbike in Zhuhai? The first time I was there, right after I left the immigration building, there were people offering me rides with their motorbikes. At that time I didn't have much traveling experience so I refused. I had read cases of tourists (in Chine) being offered a cheap ride and then taken to an alley and asked to empty their wallets... But then I went to Thailand and did it all the time (ie. paying a couple bucks to ride on someone's motorbike). So how safe is this in Zhuhai?

Zhuhai, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

popcalent,

To answer your question about the motorbikes in Zhuhai. I live in Zhuhai, this motorbike taxi's are everywhere, I would NEVER get on the back of a motorbike here or anywhere in China. I am not worried about getting robbed, I see these motorbikes getting hit by cars all the time. Both driver and passenger have serious injuries.

My advise stay as far away as you can from these motorbike taxi's.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,052 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

I certainly know a few people (young expat males) who use motorcycle taxis all the time - they are actually illegal AFAIK in downtown Zhuhai, but really common at all the bus stops north of the city where the big universities are located. I suggest you use common sense.

Rockford
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

I see. I want to go from the border to the fisher girl statue and then to the yuan ming palace. Then back to the border. What do you suggest? Thanks!

Zhuhai, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

I have a car and drive over here, yep call me crazy. Obviously this is not an option for you. When I want to get around town here and I am not driving use taxi cabs. Cabs are the quickest way to get around town, relatively cheap and there are many on the streets. One warning would be don't try to catch a cab around 6pm. That is shift change time and very difficult to get a cab. Make up some cards in Chinese of where you want to go and show it to the cad driver. My wife put places around town in Chinese in my phone. If you need help with the translation I wouldn't mind helping you out.

Cab from border to Fishing Lady about 30 rmb, Fishing Lady to Ming Palace same about 30 rmb, Ming Palace to border about 15 rmb.

Really only other option would be city bus. 2 rmb per trip. Getting to Fishing Lady from border would be easy, straight shot. Fishing Lady to Ming Palace I am sure you would need to change buses.

I am not familiar with the city bus route, I never take the bus. My son has it memorized for the entire city. I can ask him if you think you may want to take the bus.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,052 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

You would need a #9 bus to the Fisher Girl & then a 99 to Feng Huang Lu ( or Wanzai Sha) then a # 69 to New Yuan Ming Palace. Most buses in Zhuhai are 3 RMB.

Zhuhai, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

@Zhuhai 2007, I showed this to my son and he say's yes you are correct. 62 bus back the the border from Ming Palace.

2 rmb not air condition bus

3 rmb for air condition bus

Zhuhai 2007, just curious how often you make it to Zhuhai?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,052 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

Patches, I lived there for 7 years but now I only visit my friends once or twice a year.

Rockford
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macau to Zhuhai visa on arrival: Border/Office times

Thanks to both of you for your advise. I will consider the option of using buses but if it's too difficult or too inconvenient (ie. low frequency) I will consider the option of taking a cab.

Is there anything there as official/unofficial cabs? How do the official cabs look like? Thanks!