We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangshou: A Priority?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Yangshou: A Priority?

I'll be spending five weeks in China. As part of the itinerary, I currently plan on taking a boat down the Li River and staying a couple days in Yangshou, as is popularly recommended.

That said, I'll be returning to China in September for 3-4 weeks which will be dedicated exclusively to traveling through Guangxi, Guizhou and Yunnan. As part of that, I plan on taking a week traveling between Sanjiang and Kaili.

Based on that, is there any benefit to going to Yangshou and the villages around? While many books, sites recommend it, it's unclear to me if that's because it's a uniquely exquisite region or if it's because it's accessible and established. All things being equal, I'd rather avoid the hordes of tourists (and the associated trappings) that are rumoured to infest the region if I'll be getting something similar by diving deeper into the territory.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,399 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

Yangshuo (make sure you get the name right) is all about the scenery. I have been there 6 times and must admit that it is getting more commercial each time. It is best to avoid weekends.

Not sure that I would recommend taking the boat down the LiJiang though.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

Perfect; that's exactly what I needed to know. I figured if I did take a boat ride down I'd try to charter a private raft for the most scenic region; the idea of being crammed on a 100 person boat and then hearded through souvenir stalls isn't very apealling to me. If I'll get plenty of karst scenery around Yangshuo (not Yangshou; thank you!) then I'll just avoid the racket altogether. Plus, I'm hoping to spend as little time in Guilin as possible.

As an aside, I've been reading a few different travel forums and the reason I decided to post in this one is because I found your responses, specifically, to be especially informed and useful; I appreciate your time.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,399 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

Thanks.

It is also actually better to do the bamboo raft on the Yulong river rather than the LiJiang. The rafts are actually made of bamboo and not pvc pipes like on the Lijiang. Also no motor boats.

Yangshuo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

The area covers the northwest of Guangxi province and Southeast of Guizhou province is exactly what you are expected off the beaten path tours,the travel route could be like this;Guilin - Yangshuo - Longji - Sanjiang - Zhaoxing - Congjiang - Rongjiang - Xijiang - Kali.You could discover the splendid minority culture of Miao and Dong people as well as their folk custom,architecture,costume,festival,lifestyle and so on along the way.

san francisco
Level Contributor
503 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

Agree with all the previous posts.

Another idea to avoid the tourists would be to stay outside of Yangshuo rather than right in town. We stayed in the town of Moon Hill and it was a different world - we really didn't spend much time in YS. From Moon Hill you can easily catch one of the van/minibus into town; also easy to go bike riding into even more rural areas from there. You can pm me if you have any specific questions. But don't miss this area, the scenery is just incredible and it is possible to avoid or at least minimize your interactions with the tourist crowd.

australia
Level Contributor
896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

Hi

Yangshou and its environs are a special place and does have truly spectacular vistas .

Yes it is established and accessible and that can also make it more enjoyable . I have always found wherever you go , that once you cut through the tourist layers you will enjoy the area a lot more.

If you were to take the Chinese tourist out of Yangshou then there are very tourists . I was amazed by the lack of numbers of overseas visitors , same for the Dali , Lijiang etc.

Like you I had read that the place was overrun by hordes of backpackers but I was prepared to live with that and I was surprised by the lack of them when I got there.

Suggest you check out the Li River trip from Yangdi to Xing Ping etc and the walk that goes with it on this forum and rest assured you will be away from the crowds in this area and it truly is special.

Cheers

Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

We just returned after spending several days in Yangshuo and would say that it is well than worth it!!! We only had three days so I did utilize a private guide to maximize our time, Amy!! She was totally terrific and all arrangements were seemless, effortless (to us) and made the best use of our time! we did the bamboo rafting and totally loved it, we rented scooters and drove thru farms, villages etc and were awestruck by the beauty of the area, we visited a cave, we visited her home and her village, we went to Xingpi, we saw the light/sound show and we stayed at the Magnolia (thanks to JPDeM's recommendation and it was great). There were no shopping stops at all, only those that i chose on the leisurely walk to dinner each evening (LOL), oh, and we also did the cooking school!! Please don't miss the opportunity to see this lovely part of China.........

8. Re: Yangshou: A Priority?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 05:17