We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What non-beach, cultural things are there to do on Hainan?

California
Level Contributor
364 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
What non-beach, cultural things are there to do on Hainan?

I love to lay on the beach but my husband wants to see the cultural side of Hainan. We live in beijing and speak Mandarin. It would be fun to see the "true" non-commercial side of the island.

Any suggestions?

Haikou, China
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What non-beach, cultural things are there to do on Hainan?

Hi,

I am a local and live in Haikou, the capital of Hainan Island. if you come to Haikou, I would like to suggest you to pay a visit to local villages, for instant, the Civil-Ecological village, they have been developed and opened to the visitors, if you go there, you can taste the local food, and do outdoor activities to relax yourself, such as playing volleyball, table tennis, going fishing, pick up the vegetable and fruit, ride the bicycle,etc.

Enjoy Hainan!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What non-beach, cultural things are there to do on Hainan?

Katoey show in sanya. Sensational...

Hainan, China
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What non-beach, cultural things are there to do on Hainan?

Hi Travelchica23,

There are a plethora of cultural attractions to be seen in Hainan including:

Ancient villages

Pagodas

Confucian academies

Minority villages

"Red" tourism sites charting the course of the Japanese invasion/Chinese civil war etc.

Most of these tend to be concentrated in the north of the island around Haikou/Ding'an/Wenchang. Haikou's "old"streets dating to the 1920s-30s and known in Chinese as Qilou (骑楼), are well worth a visit.

Like your husband, I find all this stuff fascinating and have spent a lot of time here researching it.

Stay off the beach! Go look around instead.

Best Regards,

HainanFeilipu.

4. Re: What non-beach, cultural things are there to do on Hainan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Hainan