We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair friendly for Haikou and Sanya?

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair friendly for Haikou and Sanya?

Besides the beaches, do you think it is worth a visit for a person in wheel chair like me to visit these two places? Anything to do there? Still undecided on visiting Hainan island or other places in China which is not too cold end of December.

3 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair friendly for Haikou and Sanya?

China in general is not wheelchair friendly at all. It is a "me first" society where you are at the very end of the food chain in traffic. Cars will not stop for you and people are not very helpful as they are afraid to do something wrong and then get sued by you. Getting better but do not expect too much.

Besides that I have never been to Hainan as all my friends been there told me "never again". Too expensive, not comparable with places like Thailand and a playground for the nouveau-riche of China.

I would really think twice if I´d go there.

2. Re: Wheelchair friendly for Haikou and Sanya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 12:15

Haikou
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair friendly for Haikou and Sanya?

Some attractions like Mission Hills in Haikou will be fine, but overall the cities themselves are not great for wheelchair access. My friend who lives here in Haikou has trouble getting into most restaurants and getting around town in his chair.

Reply to: Wheelchair friendly for Haikou and Sanya?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Haikou