We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Go to Sanya?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
90 posts
892 reviews
Save Topic
Why Go to Sanya?

Sanya is the Chinese Hawaii. It has some picturesque places and international hotels. If you are Chinese it is a great place.

If you come from a modern international location I cannot recommend Sanya. When there are many places in SE Asia for a quarter of the price, English speakers, international clean standards, food and water without fear of getting sick, clean crystal clear beach water, and UNESCO sites why would you go to Sanya?

150-400 US a night for a hotel can get you private villas in the Phillipines, Thailand, or private junks in Vietnam.

I'm a seasoned traveler who has toured over 40 countries outside of work and even more as an airline pilot. My advice is get more for your money with clean international standards elsewhere.

52 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

Agreed. Visa free and easy to reach for Chinese.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,407 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

I agree and have said in the past that these beaches are not world class but it is the best in China for those with no other options.

Budapest
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

Hello! As I see that you are expert in the SE region of Asia and I saw that you would recommend other countries for beach holiday in the region, I would like respectfully to ask for your advice.We are planning with my family to visit the Canton fair at the end of October. Before that, we would like to go for one week for beach holiday. We thoght about Sanya originally but after reading the topic at the forum, we are doubtfull about, if it is a good idea. Could you recommend us someplace better in this region. We would like to spend in a five star resort one week but also we would like to go out of the hotel to explore a little bit the surroundings before we fly to Guang Zhou.

Thank you in advance

Thomas

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

Hi Thomas,

I recommend to consider Thailand, alternatively Philippines. Thailand will be easier to reach. There are direct flights from Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong to Bangkok and also islands.

Budapest
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

Hi! As we have never been there please help us whith the location. I checked in tripadvisor and I found many, in Thailand and also in Philipines. For first look the prices are the same with Sanya... Opinion?

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
91 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

I think Sanya is not a bad choice, if you live in China. It is best perhaps for shorter holiday. Flight times are not long, which does make it sensible choice if you have small children.

I have been in Sanya several times and been rather happy. I have gone there with my family, enjoyed swimming, sunshine, Yalong bay, excellent & inexpensive seafood etc.

Sanya is no Phuket obviously. It is more demanding destination, English skills are scarce, less choices for restaurants etc.

Budapest
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

Thank you for your help.

We still not decided where to go. I have been several times in China but allways for buisness. This would be the first time for holiday, with the family. The beach is very important for the children but also we would like to go out to the city at the afternoon - evening. So I'm affraid that in Yalong Bay we will be far from the restaurants coffe's... e.c.t.

and I'm also affraid that in Sanya the beach will not be so nice than in Yalong Bay. What would you suggest us?

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
91 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

Yalong bay is great and I would not go to any other beach, which is closer to city. Have been there and beaches are just not good enough. There are some places to eat in Yalong bay too. I have usually always left from Yalong bay to city every afternoon. Did my shopping near city centre (ming zhu guang chang) and afterwards went for nice seafood dinner on Jiefang road. Bus takes bit longer, taxis are better. I guess 35 minutes one way. We speak Chinese, so everything is easy.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 15:08
Budapest
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

Thank you again for your help!

You lucky to speak Chinese....

I'm thinking to try first time ( after 15 visits) to drive in China. Do you know if the GPS is working well in China?

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
91 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why Go to Sanya?

GPS does work very well. Problem might be car rental. Not sure if that is possible in Sanya with western driving license.

Reply to: Why Go to Sanya?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted