We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold Weather Gear

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cold Weather Gear

Hi. Travelling to Harbin in December and January. We come from Brisbane and don't have a lot of access to cold weather clothes - or any need for it.

Is there any where in Harbin to rent clothes and boots = sounds a silly question

thanks

Xian
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cold Weather Gear

Actually, clothes and boots renting is not popular in Harbin. You probably need to buy some to resist the coldness.

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cold Weather Gear

are you visiting any other city in china before harbin? if so, find some basic items there, like down jackets, thick pants, hats, gloves, and scarves. snow boots and snow pants, maybe find them in harbin.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cold Weather Gear

Hi,

My husband & I are from the Gold Coast & also going to be travelling in China for 3 weeks in Jan & will be in Harbin from 10th -12th Jan. We're travelling mostly independently in each place & just doing the odd tour in Beijing & X'ian & Guilin.

I've been gathering some extra winter clothes from the many Op shops & car boot sales around here - of course there is Anaconda & camping shops plus Fortitude Valley mountain shop strip (which are expensive if don't travel much in the cold) plus you can pick up off season specials now at the Snow skiing places.

We plan to pick extra clothes hopefully in Beijing before we get further north but sure you know to use many light but warm layers & have ear muffs on your hats & buy some foam linings to put inside your boots to insulate feet from the cold etc. We were travelling Norway in March this year & know how cold it was & what we required.

Think you were asking about Air Asia & stopping in KL too - the only hotel at LCCT airport is Tune Hotel (scandinavian style bare rooms, no TV but good for a stopover) Have more info on that & how to get into KL etc as we did that in March this year & are flying again with AA in Jan to China.

If want to ask any more Q you can post a temp hotmail address here & I will contact you on it & give you our phone number.

Happy travelling in the cold!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cold Weather Gear

Are you kidding. Snow gear in brisvegas???

Serious mistake- buy your gear in china. Its cold like you wont believe...the stuff you buy in oz will not keep you warm.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cold Weather Gear

i've read that Harbin is cold but didn't think it's that cold. can we buy those stuff for snow days in the markets in Beijing (those near the zoo for instance)? are they good enough for Harbin?

6. Re: Cold Weather Gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 06:17