We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must-try food in Harbin?

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Must-try food in Harbin?

Can anyone suggest good restaurants in Harbin? I'm going there for 2 days in January and I want to try local and Russian cuisines.

So far I've got Oriental Dumplings King and Katusha on my list. Any others that I must really really try?:)

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1,297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

The best we had was the dumplings as you mentioned (Dongfang Jiaozi Wang (Eastern Dumpling King) on Zhongyang Avenue) - we didn't really find any other quality food!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,121 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

Hi,

What has been noted above has a good repuatation. I have yet to try it though. In the coming days I shall make a note of the good places where I have eaten at. Actually, there are very many places to eat at but people tend to be put off by Chinese only signs. Since being in Harbin I haven't eaten one bad meal !

I haven't seen any restaurants that serve Russian food but I will ask.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,121 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

Hi,

I ate at the place mentioned above and the food was very tasty. There is also a chain of fast food type restaurants that serve dumplings. Unfortunately, the signs are only in Chinese but they are called, 'Xi Jia De'. However, they are quite easy to spot. The food is good as are the prices.

One of my favourite places in Harbin is "Lao Chang Chun Bing' again there is no English sign. They have several branches around Harbin. One can be found at 180 Zhongyang Street (pedestrian street) next to the Yishion Clothing Store. It's open from 10.30 am till 9 pm and one or two of their staff speak a bit of English.

No sign of any Russian restaurants yet but I haven't looked that hard.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 11:34
Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

Katusha is Russian. I probably ate there on my visit to Harbin. If so, it was not spectacular food, but interesting and worthwhile and not expensive. You can also grab Russian-style bread and sausages at markets downtown.

Northeastern cuisine is pretty rustic. I like it, but it is things like beef and potatoes, pork and sauerkraut (xuancai), and yes dumplings. Restaurants all over town will serve fine versions of this.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,121 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

Hi,

Some more info about restuarants:

Europlaza, on Zhongyang Street has Japanese and Korean restaurants on the 5th floor. On the 4th floor are Chinese restaurants. Behind the Europlaza, in the opposite direction of Zhongyang is a Russian Restaurant, 'Russia Holiday Garden' open from 10.30 am till 8.30 pm. Also on Zhongyan, number 45 is the Cafe Bomele which serves lovely pastries and good coffee. I spent time there whenever I went into the city centre and loved the place. And just around the corner, on West 13th Street is another branch of Laochang, mentioned in my earlier post. At the Wanda Plaza, facing the river is a Thai restaurant.

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the replies! I just came back from my trip to Harbin! I loved Dong Fang Jiao Zi Wang Eastern Dumplings King! Dumplings were great, servers were nice and they have free wifi!

Katusha was really good too! The server was actually Russian and her Chinese was very charming! We ordered Borscht soup, Cream of Mushroom soup and a meat platter covered in what looked like Beschamel and Mozarella and a must-try is their Beef Tongue! Yummy! Now if only I could learn how to to post photos here LOL

One place everybody has to STAY AWAY from though, is the Cafe Russia on Central Street! Hands down worst food I've ever tasted on a trip! The meat was tough, the mutton looked and tasted questionable, the service really bad, like the waitress couldn't be bothered to take our order because she was engrossed with something on the newspaper! Walk away people!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,121 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

Hi GG,

Thanks for giving us your feedback. I wish I could have posted the info (my last response) about eating in Harbin a bit earlier.

Happy travels for the future, Andy.

8. Re: Must-try food in Harbin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 10:18