We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suzhou Attraction

Which Suzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
Suzhou Attraction

Hi,

I will be going to china during end of March and planning to visit few place during my trip specifically Hangzhou, Shanghai & Suzhou. I heard that Zhouzhuang (周庄) is a nice place to visit on my trip and planning to stay a night there so that i could enjoy night and morning view on the village. Can i know if there is any suggestion where can i stay at Zhouzhuang? Is there any bus that i could take from ZhouZhuang directly to Pudong Airport?

Thanks in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suzhou Attraction

'I heard that Zhouzhuang (周庄) is a NICE place'?????????

I'll recommend Tongli

Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suzhou Attraction

Thanks for your reply.

Another friend of mine reconmended Xitang. So, i am figuring if Xitang, Zhouzhuang or Tongli would be a better choice.... All all of them water village?

Suzhou, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suzhou Attraction

Hello,

I live in Suzhou and for water towns it will depend on what you want to see. Tongli is very touristy, but if you just want to see one water town and get a lot of 'bang for your buck' (photo ops, etc.) then it is the place to go. I prefer Mudu, which is a lot more authentic, I guess. Maybe none of them are really authentic, but Mudu is usually quiet and very beautiful. Not as much flash as Tongli.

You will not be able to get a bus from the airport. My suggestion is to arrange a car and driver through your hotel. A car and driver for the day should not cost over 400 rmb, even from Shanghai. We usually pay 300 to go from Suzhou to the airport (Pudong) so if your hotel wants to charge you more, seek out a local travel company.

If you have any other questions (i.e.: what to do in Suzhou) just respond to this post and I will check it.

Hope that helps!

Kim

Edited: 08 February 2011, 10:08
KL
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suzhou Attraction

How to get to Mudu? Easier from Shanghai or Hangzhou?

What is the chinese character for Mudu?

Suzhou, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suzhou Attraction

Hello,

This link will take you to a short blurb about each water town and also, their name in Chinese characters:

http://www.yilongwei.com/misc/water_towns.htm

I had forgotten to mention Luzhi, which is also really beautiful and authentic. Either Mudu or LuZhi have women dressed in traditional costume, doing dances around the town, which is really nice. I am not sure which one.

Both Mudu and LuZhi are in Kunshan which is an industrial city close to Suzhou on the way to Shanghai. How I have gotten to both in the past is to arrange a car and driver from Suzhou. It is not very expensive and you could have them take you for lunch or dinner afterwards. The advantage is that you are on your own time schedule. There are many excellent restaurants in Suzhou - none of which seem to be on Trip Advisor for some reason.

I hope that is helpful!

Kim

Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suzhou Attraction

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the useful info on the 2 new suggestion. :)

I am planning to overnight at one of the water city. SO, which one will be a better choice? I choose Tongli previously is because it is easier to book a hotel over there for overnight stay... Do you have any suggestion on the 2 places you mentions?

Thanks in advance

Suzhou, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suzhou Attraction

Hello,

I do not think you can stay overnight in either Mudu or LuZhi, but even if you could - you may not want to. Water towns do what they do really well, but they are not really in the business of food or accommodations. I still have yet to have a decent meal in one (i.e.: clean table and chopsticks, etc.) and so my advise for you is to stay in a hotel that can provide authentic Chinese atmophere in Suzhou. One really good Chinese-style hotel is the PingJiang Lodge, which is on trip advisor and also located in the old downtown, which is a nice place to explore with many, many great restaurants.

There is nothing wrong with Tongli if you really want to stay in a water town. If you did want to stay in a nearby hotel, I would not recommend staying in Kunshan. There are good hotels there, but it is such an industrial place, I doubt you'd find any charm outside the water towns.

I hope that helps!

Kim

Suzhou, China
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suzhou Attraction

Hi, I think you should go to Zhouzhuang, because if you really want to experience a real water town, it is the best choice, because Zhouzhuang is the most popular water town in China, the second one is Tongli, as for Mudu and other places, I don't think they are real water towns, they are very small and not popular at all, you will get bored if you stay there for only one hour, nothing to see there. Anyway, Zhouzhuang is the best choice, and it is near Shanghai.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suzhou Attraction

So there you have it. Visit a quiet and uncrowded water town and you have no where to stay, nothing exciting going on and get bored quickly. Visit a very popular water town and you will find it over-touristy, too much glitz, and not very authentic.

Foreign tourists in China must stay in certain licensed hotels, not at just any bed and breakfast. Hence there are many small towns in China where you are not supposed to stay overnight, even when you register with the police.

I would head to Suzhou, stay there, and take a taxi back and forth to Tongli for maximum convenience and comfort.

KL
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suzhou Attraction

SobeSparky,

I have visited Xitang and Tongli before. I am planning another trip to Huangshan end of Aug with my friend. She has not visited any watertown before. Do you have recommendation of other watertown that is as good as Xitang or Tongli?

Is it only Xitang and Tongli are big enough to stay overnight?