We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

Need some advise...I will arrive shanghai on 10th Feb early morning and have free time till 12 Feb. i will need to be back in shanghai before 12pm on 12 Feb.

My plan is to go to Suzhou & Hangzhou and stay 1 night at each place.

i would like to visit West Lake, Lingyin Temple, longjin tea plantation and watch Impression at HZ.

For SZ i would like to visit the water towns and some gardens.

Should I go to HZ first or SZ from Pudong Airport to make the best use of limited time? thanks! :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

The biggest difficulty you'll face is trying to squeeze in so much in only 48 hours. Travel time alone will eat up a good chunk of your time, and you may find your progress impeded by the weekend traffic around the touristy areas of Hangzhou and Suzhou. If you have a private driver available to you for all three days that will make the trip do-able, but it still won't be easy. There's a lot of ground to cover to see all you want in that amount of time.

If you're using a combination of public transportation (train, bus, taxi), I recommend you head for Suzhou first. It will take you about 1 hour to get from Pudong airport to the train station in central Shanghai by taxi or subway. A fast (G-class) train from Shanghai to Suzhou only takes 23 minutes, but the waiting times and transportation to and from a hotel in Suzhou will eat up a lot of time. You may have only a few hours to visit one or two gardens using a taxi before it gets dark. Several of the best gardens are near the Suzhou main train station so try to get a hotel near them to save on time.

You can try to catch a bus to Tongli or Zhouzhuang water towns early the next morning, and then try to catch a bus to Hangzhou/West Lake area from there. Even if all goes efficiently you'll only have a few hours of daylight in Hangzhou your second evening. You can try to slip in some more lake time the next morning, but there won't be much room for sightseeing if you need to be in Shanghai by noon (by bus or train--bus is the best bet, about 2+ hours depending in your destination).

Taxi drivers won't usually go to those places one-way, because it's a long drive back in an empty car. You'll probably have to pay a premium to convince someone to drive you. If you have a bigger budget you can maybe negotiate to hire a private driver for 500 RMB's to 1,000 RMB's per full day, plus pay for a cheaper hotel room for him (~100 to 200 RMB's). Make sure you are clear before you leave who will pay the expenses for gas, road tolls, parking, meals, lodging, etc. A private driver is far more expensive than public transportation, but that's the trade-off if you want to squeeze so much in so little time.

Given only 48 hours, I'd recommend going to Suzhou OR Hangzhou (not both), and then making arrangements to go to either water town your middle day. Or skip the water town stop and go from Suzhou to Hangzhou then back to Shanghai.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

I would forget about Suzhou, you don't have time to visit the 2, get a train to Hangzhou and visit the town after transport you'll only have one full day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

Too much in such a short space of time my friend!!!

Have you thought of travel time?

Even one full day is not enough.

Could you not omit Suzhou that would help but still watching the clock.

Good luck

Albon

Skye
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

You definitely won'thave enough time to do justice to Hangzhou and Suzhou. Even going to Hangzhou you are pushing it to see everything in hte time you have.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

Yes, you could if you booked hotels and with handy luggage. Bear in mind that in Feb, dust at 16:30H

2/10:

From Pudong Airport- HZ by long haul bus (8:40, 9:30, 10:30, 12:00), cost RMB100 with 4H.

By taxi to Lingyin Temple.

By local bus/taxi to Longjin tea plantation. In Nov/2010, the Longin Tea is $80/bottle.

By taxi to hotel and settle down. Walk around at West Lake then watch Impression at HZ.

2/11:

From HZ- SZ by G7382 (dep. @08:06 & arr. @09:42) then by bus to Tongli (freq. bus, $16pp for 0.75H.)

Have a boat ride to Luo Xingzhou. After that head to the old town.

2/12:

Tongli- Shanghai: (around 3H+ connecting time

a) Tongli- SZ (by bus, 0.75H)- Shanghai (by G-train, 0.75H) or,

b) Tongli- SZ (by bus, 0.75H)- Shanghai South (by bus, 1.5H) or,

c) Tongli- Qingpu (by bus, 1.25H)- Shanghai South (by bus, 0.75H)

d) Tongli- Shanghai (bus from Wujiang which dep. @06:15)

Edited: 30 January 2012, 22:44
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

Folks, many thanks for the advise!

Yeah, i guess i was being really greedy trying to sueeze so much in so short a time!

Initially I had wanted to stay 1 nite in HZ to cathe Impressions, but I found out the show is closed till end of Feb. From the looks of the situation, I think I'll probably take one of those day trips from Shanghai instead. Oh well... :)

thanks again! cheers

7. Re: Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 10:25
Get answers to your questions about Suzhou
Recent Conversations