We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

How do I travel from Shanghai to Suzhou for a day trip? I understand it is a bullet train but how do you make a booking and where does it leave from and how often and do you book in advance?

Once there, do we take a taxi to the different destinations around Suzhou, or should I get a tour guide?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

Wow that is ridiculous! Is a hotel included in that price? If you want a private guide and car for the day, it shouldn't be more than 100 USD or about 600 RMB per person. It is an all day trip.

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

Hi kvchina

We are going to Suzhou on Sat 28th December, would you expect Suzhou to Shanghai tickets to be easly available if we just rock up after being to Tongli or are Saturdays particulary busy? If so how much is a taxi to Shanghai (plan d).

Thanks

keith

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

You will have no trouble getting train tickets at either Shanghai or Suzhou Stations although you might have to queue up for a while (took us 20 minutes). I would get there an hour before I wanted to leave. Ticket purchase is a slow business in China with passports needed to be produced. If the ticket seller cant speak English they will call a colleague over who can, if needed. Trains run regularly so you shouldn't have any problems getting a seat.

On arriving at Suzhou Station we caught a taxi to the canals. It didn't cost much and was a quick trip. Once at the canal town you can either walk around or be taken down the canals in a small boat. Both are good and you can also walk up to and through the newer part of the city.

If you want to get a taxi to Suzhou don't walk outside the station. The taxi rank is inside the station on the lower level. It is a large train station - more like one of our airports. Taxis on the outside of the station will only drop off passengers and will not pick you up. There will also be a lot of people inside the Station trying to sell you day trips. They can be a rip off.

It is easier to get a taxi back to the station if you walk a hundred yards or so into the newer part of the town. When you get back to Suzhou Station make sure you are on the right level to catch the train back to Shanghai. There is an information counter so ask just in case.

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

Thaks for your reply, we are quite looking forward to our trip, just fine tuning everything.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

We got back last week. If I can be of assistance with any advice regarding our experience of guides or things to do in any of the following places please email be direct; Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Huangshan, Guilin, Pingan or Yangshuo. Happy to help out.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
410 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

Where does one find this car service to drive you, as I have been quoted two thousand and fifty which seems excessive, by the private guide, they all seem to charge the same. Would love to find somebody to drive us for less that is reputable. Thank you

17. Re: Getting to Suzhou from Shanghai for a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 07:16