We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

Which Suzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

We like the idea of seeing Tongli in the evening when it is quieter and lit up but it looks like it may be preferable to stay overnight in Suzhou. How late can you leave Tongli town safely by taxi to Suzhou?

Can anyone recommend good accommodation in Tongli. It's hard to find on TA reviews?

Or would most people recommend we go back to Suzhou. We were only going to Suzhou enroute to Tongli but Suzhou looks so lovely itself that maybe just a few hours in Tongli and the overnight in Suzhou would be preferable??

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

Tongli becomes very peaceful early and late. It's the best time to get a feel for the place. I spent one night and was glad I did.

In the morning about 9 or 9:30 the place began filling up with those noisy day tours, bus groups all wearing the same colored hats pushing and shoving, guides with bullhorns. So much nicer before they arrived.

Supper the night before, when only overnight guests were in town, was also a very relaxed experience. Walking around as dusk fell was splendid. It's a small place; hard to get lost.

It's difficult to find hotel reviews because Tripadvisor puts them all under the heading of "Wujiang" instead of listing Tongli properties separately. This makes it difficult to do a search. Use "Wujiang" as your search term.

I stayed in a small place called Yangguang Yizhan. Here's a review:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g644035-d215697…

Many similar places. The main thing I was looking for was convenience. It was a short walk to all the in-town sights.

My vote is strongly for spending the night.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

We are booked on a tour to stay at Tongli Lakeview Hotel for one night. Can't recommend this personally but maybe you could do a search. Good luck!

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

If you like to experience a peaceful stay, overnight at Tongli is advised. If you like some night activities, Suzhou may be better with lively streets and some sights opening at night.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,936 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

I prefer staying in Suzhou.

Baltimore...
Level Contributor
121 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

It depends on what you are looking for.

We stayed at Tongli Zhengfu Caotang Hotel in Tongli. We had the family room which was two good sized beds (yea!!!) and a fine (but not recently renovated) bathroom. The owners were very friendly and we enjoyed the stay. By having a room in Tongli we were able to relax in the air conditioning after checking in (we were there in August, and it was very hot) and wander around after dark. The bridges being lit is pretty after dark, but after dark cars also return to the car free city...you get more of a local feel, but the restaurant we ate at closed as soon as we finished eating.

In Suzhou we stayed at the Youngor Central Hotel which was a lovely 4 star hotel that was centrally located. From their you could walk around the Suzhou canal, and there was certainly a lot happening after dark.

Suzhou was cheaper for a much nicer room, but we also liked the character or the courtyard hotel in Tongli.

6. Re: Tongli after dark? stay overnight or return to Suzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28