We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Lushan from Jiujiang??

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
512 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Lushan from Jiujiang??

I'm wondering if a day trip to Lushan 庐山 from Jiujiang 九江 is feasible.

I have a quick trip to the area (Nanchang 南昌 and Jingdezhen 景德镇) planned next week and will have an extra day at the end after making the circle up to Jiujiang 九江. I realize it's possible to go up into the mountains and spend a couple of days hiking to points of scenic and historical interest, but I don't have that much time.

Maybe another time, I can stay longer, but it's a day trip or nothing this time. Anybody know about doing that? I would be willing to take a group tour or just hire a taxi. (I speak Chinese and am experienced in getting around here.)

4 replies to this topic
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Lushan from Jiujiang??

It seems the Jiangxi forum doesn't get a lot of traffic. So I'll post what I dug up in answer to my own question, above, in hopes that it might be of use to someone else later.

Lots of Jiujiang travel agents offer one-day trips to Lushan. Found several on-line via a Baidu search that range in price from 170 to 220 Yuan per person. They start with a central Jiujiang pick-up at 8:00 a.m. and get back to Jiujiang about 6 p.m. They take you, with a group, to some of the the main points of interest. They give an itinerary, listing your stops.

You are required to handle the entrance tickets and cost of lunch on your own, as well as any other "extras" such as cable car fees or electric cart fees. I prefer this system to the "all inclusive" approach, since you can select whether you want to do a little or a lot.

Here's one that is typical: http://www.0792u.com/yiriyou/ -- no doubt others can be found in Jiujiang after arrival. Two-day and three-day tours are also available, and may be better if one has the time.

I will post reviews afterwards to let you know how it worked out.

A A
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Lushan from Jiujiang??

Simplest way is this: just get up early, look for a taxi on the street in Jiujiang, and tell them you want whole day on Lushan. I don't know how much the price would be but probably not more than a few hundred Yuan.

Make sure the taxi has permission to drive up the mountain, all the way to the top and scenic areas. (although I think all taxis in Jiujiang do, unlike some other nearby areas)

You'll have more flexibility with the car just for yourself. If you have extra time, just take your luggage along and stay a night in a hotel or guesthouse in Gulingzhen village, it is very nice. It is the main village on Lushan mountain, and the road from Jiujiang leads right into it. It is also a good base to explore the scenic spots on the mountain.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Lushan from Jiujiang??

Thanks very much, @AA. I'll look into that approach too. Have used a similar method in other places and found it can work very well.

I have friends of friends who live in Jiujiang, and they might even know a Gulingzhen guest house, up in the mountains, to telephone ahead of time.

Had planned on spending two nights in Jiujiang proper, but spending one of those nights in Gulingzhen might really be better. Am returning by bus to Nanchang, from where I will fly home to Kunming.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 01:59
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Lushan from Jiujiang??

Wound up taking a taxi up to Lushun from Jiujiang. Cost 150 Yuan each way. Would have been better to have spent a couple nights in the mountains.

Found a direct bus from Jiujiang 长途客运站 to Nanchang Airport 昌北机场 the next day. Trip takes 2 hours and costs 60 Yuan. Runs about every two hours; very convenient.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 02:19
Reply to: Day trip to Lushan from Jiujiang??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jiangxi