We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

HI, I will be going to Shandong ( different cities. I like to know if one can find a telephone card

( that has a stored value), and put this into a public telephone, then you dial an access number

and call back US. Since I will be in Shandong for only 6 days, I was thinking maybe I don't

have to look for a SIM card , and just use telephone card then. If so, can one buy this telephone

card in Qingdao airport ? Will the same card work for different cities ( qingdao, Qufu, Tai'an,

Tai Shan, etc.

My relative has a SIM card that she will give to me so I can use in HK ,but I understand that card cannot be used in China.

thanks for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao Airport
Qingdao Airport
Qingdao, China
Qufu
Qufu
Shandong, China
Tai'an
Tai'an
Shandong, China
6 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

Little kiosks have signs saying "IP 卡" ("IP ka", International Phone Card"). Just hand over 50 or 100 CNY and say "mei guo" which is Chinese for USA. Instructions are on the card in Chinese and English.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,722 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

Public phones are very hard to find as everybody has a mobile phone now (or two).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

Looks like public phone is hard to find, can you give me directions on where to find a place to buy SIM

Card. I do not have smart phone. Just an old style phone . do they sell SIM card in the Qingdao airport

or is there one for China only that I can purchase in Hong kong before I go there. I do not need a SIM

card for Hong Kong as my relative has one that she can give me

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao Airport
Qingdao Airport
Qingdao, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,722 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

Ask your hotel. A simple SIM to make calls will be sold everywhere in town. not so sure about the airport though.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

It's very hard to find a public phone in Qingdao now... I agree with JPD, as most of us have at least one mobile phone.

I am using ChinaMobile SIM card, which could call the US directly.

I called ChinaMobile Qingdao just now but they don't know if there is SIM card for sale in Qingdao airport, what a shame! I guess there is a vendor... :(

And SIM cards are sold in towns, don't worry about it.

Don't worry about you old phones, in China, we have different size SIM cards for different phones. If you don't request, the default card is an old standard card with a small chip, you can cut it if you are using an iphone or a samsung Note.

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao Airport
Qingdao Airport
Qingdao, China
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Mumbai, India
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US

Can I get a sim card for international calls and local calls along with 3G data at Qingdao International Airport?

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Reply to: any telephone card that one can purchase to call back US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted