We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best iphone sim card to buy

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
15 helpful votes
Best iphone sim card to buy

Hi we are in Australia and my University student daughter is heading to China at the end of November for 8 weeks. She arrives into Shanghai but then spend most of the next 6 weeks at Shandong University before heading to Beijing for the last few days.

We have been doing a bit of research re sims for her iphone 4 (Optus post paid), we have just applied for it to be unlocked and this should be done in the next 72 hours.

From my research and from what I have read here, China Unicom has the best coverage but you have to cut the sim down to micro size which frightens me a bit. On ebay there is a China Unicom pre-paid card.

ebay.com.au/itm/…

I know it is probably over priced but I thought it might just be easier to buy it now so she would be good to go once she arrived.

Any advice welcome.

2 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
48,097 posts
856 reviews
492 helpful votes
1. Re: Best iphone sim card to buy

That SIM card on eBay is quite expensive andis not cut either.

She should definitely buy her card in Jinan as this is where she will be living. If she doesn't then she will have a phone number from another city and all her calls will be long distance.

China Unicom does not have the best coverage but they are the partner for Apple in China. The iPhone 4 is very popular in China so a microSIM is not unusual. If she needs to, it is easy to cut the card with this tool: http://search8.taobao.com/search?q=MicroSim+cutter&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934

She will need to pick the proper package for her consumption so she'd better bring a Chinese friend with her. She should also have her passport with her when buying for id purposes. My current package costs me 98RMB per month and I paid 98 for the card but it included the first month.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Best iphone sim card to buy

China Unicom is Apple's partner in China.

If her phone is unlocked, just buy one in SH for 2 weeks, then go to JN for the other one. It's cheap here.

Also another supplier China Mobile could offer the card and cut the card for her, don't worry about it.

Reply to: Best iphone sim card to buy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jinan