We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

My wife and I are hoping to travel to Jinan at the end of May/beginning of June in 2015. We have a few questions.

1. Right now the flights to Jinan from NYC are pretty expensive, and it's much cheaper to fly to Beijing. We thought about taking the high speed train to Jinan from Beijing, but my guide book recommends buying train tickets several days in advance. Is this necessary at that time of year, or will we be able to get tickets on the spot, after transferring from airport to train station? Or do we need to buy our train tickets in advance? If that's the case, is there a way to buy train tickets online from the USA in advance?

2. We have several places we would like to visit throughout the province, including Qindao. We normally find a driver on trips such as these. Should we book a driver for the length of our stay, or will we be able to find drivers day-to-day? In such cases, is it possible to do a stayover at more distant sites (e.g. Qindao) with said driver?

3. Can anyone recommend a driver/guide for a 5-6 day stay in Jinan with day trips in the surrounding areas? English-speaking would be great, but not vital if the destinations are clear. I plan to bring easy-to-read printouts with our destinations' names in 普通話 / 普通话 Pǔtōnghuà.

Many thanks for any help you can provide. Cheers.

17 replies to this topic
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
586 reviews
11. Re: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

You're welcome. Hope you have a good trip.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
9 reviews
12. Re: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

1,Agree with JPD, yes, seems no direct flight from NYC to JN.

2,Agree, you could arrive in Qingdao then find a local driver.

3,I created some video, you could learn, from here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297458-i9373-k316…

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
9 reviews
13. Re: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

Hope this could help you: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
1,129 reviews
14. Re: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

Sorry that I have come to this a bit late.

We stayed in Jinan for 5 weeks in each of the last 2 years. The one areas not to miss are the springs, the canal and the lake that the canal and the springs feed into. They are very nice.

We travelled regularly on the bullet train between Beijing and Jinan. Economy class is fine. I agree that it is a good idea to book a ticket allowing plenty of time for delays and then try to change it at Beijing South station if you are on time. Note when travelling to Jinan that most trains stop at Jinan West on the mainline from Beijing to Shanghai. It is quite a way into the centre from there particularly if traffic is bad, as it can be. If you have a hotel in the centre of Jinan it makes sense to get a train to Jinan central station though they are less frequent. To go to Qingdao take the train from Jinan central station. This is a much better and cheaper option than getting a driver.

In Qingdao we loved the China Community Art and Culture Hotel. We booked it at ctrip and got a very good rate.

It is so different from your normal high rise standardised hotel

See the reviews at:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297458-d144681…

Edited: 24 December 2014, 12:41
Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
15. Re: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

One last question: does it make sense to get help from my Jinan hotel to help me book cars and drivers in advance? I'm guessing that taxi drivers don't speak English, so how do I communicate? Write everything down, Google Translate, and print it out?

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
1,129 reviews
16. Re: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

"One last question: does it make sense to get help from my Jinan hotel to help me book cars and drivers in advance?" Very much so. Your hotel should give you an address in Chinese characters to show the taxi driver.

After that ask your hotel to write or print out in Chinese letters where you want to go from the hotel and show this to the taxi driver. Be careful about the difference between Jinan West station and Jinan central station.

If you are there for a while learn the bus system - there is an available map. Buses cost 1 Yuan

We even learnt how to get buses to and from both train stations to the centre and other parts of town.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
17. Re: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan

Thanks!

Reply to: A Couple of Practical Questions About Visiting Jinan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jinan