We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

geting Chinese currency

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
geting Chinese currency

Hi, a few yrs ago, you can use your Bank of America ATM card and get cash at some China banks. Unfortunately , I

cannot remember the name now. Can someone comment on this ?

If Citibank also affliated with another China bank, please let me know too

thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,985 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: geting Chinese currency

Bank of A terminated its deal. Citibank has branches in China but they are pretty rare.

Sounds like you'll have to pay an ATM fee to your bank (depending on the package that you have).

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: geting Chinese currency

Its china construction bank had no issues last summer

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: geting Chinese currency

Hi, I call Bank of America today. Like the above response, they no longer waive the 3% transaction fee.

Does anyone know of any US bank that has a relationship with a China Bank and have no foreign transaction fee. ?

I can use my credit card that has no foreign transaction fee, but I need to get some cash .

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: geting Chinese currency

Charles Schwab Bank has no ATM fees at all. I think Fidelity also has a bank that charges no fees.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 02:18
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: geting Chinese currency

agree with Charles Schwab, though depends which checking options you have,if am not mistaken, the fees rebate are provided for, but not to exceed USD9 per statement period.

But if you have their Visa Platinum debit card,the bank will reimburse you for unlimited ATM fee rebates for cash withdrawals.

And if not mistaken, though no partnership also with China Bank, TD Bank only charges $2.50(this amount needs to be recheck to ascertain any increase recently-my son in Chicago mentioned this to me about a year ago) per transaction but no foreign conversion fees.

Yep, BoA which has a stake in China Construction Bank- you can avoid the USD5 fees, but as mentioned, there is an international transaction fees of 3%(previous if I remember was only 1%) of the converted USD amount,and to ensure not higher than 3%, is to refuse the ATM operator's offer to convert the amount of the transaction.

One would have thought also of HSBC-world's local bank- not good, even if you withdraw from their ATM- still charges a foreign conversion charge.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: geting Chinese currency

should have read BoA which had a stake in China Construction Bank.

BoA had already divested their stake sometime in Sept of last year.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,985 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: geting Chinese currency

Every bank has no fee for ATM s, it just depends on what package you have with them.

8. Re: geting Chinese currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Qingdao
Recent Conversations