We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography of Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monestary

Which Datong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Photography of Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monestary

I'm spending 2 days in Datong and plan to visit these sites on separate days. Can someone tell me whether morning or afternoon is better lighting for photography at each site.

Thanks

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography of Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monestary

There are many coal mines in that region,even there is one on the opposite site to the grottoes.It is not popular place for photographers.Hope there is no heavy pollution when you are there.

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography of Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monestary

Hi, lightningboy:

I was in those sites you are gonna visit in late October. It does not really matter going there in the morning or in the afternoon.

YunGang Grottoes:

several caves are now closed for protection that visitors are not allowed to get in. You are going to take pictures from outside. I arrived there at around 9 in the morning and left at nearly 12:00 noon. You got to walk through a big temple complex before getting into the grottoes area.

Hanging Temple:

It takes about 1.5 hours to maximum 2 hours to drive from datong to hanging temple. It is very hard to say that you got to be there in certain time of the day for picture, because the temple was built in the valley half way along the cliff. there was even a river in the valley which is already dried today. Due to its location that there are mountains around, it is not too bad, but please do not expect to get too bright light for photos.

Hope this information would be helpful.

xiantourbooking

Datong, China
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography of Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monestary

I am local guide. I can tell you the Yungang Grottoes faces south and Hanging Temple faces east. It is the best time to take photoes of Hanging Monestary in the morning .

4. Re: Photography of Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monestary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 05:18