We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SanXingDui Museum

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
SanXingDui Museum

Hi,

Has anyone been to the Sanxingdui Museum? Is it worth to have a go?

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: SanXingDui Museum

A mystery and highly civilized country dated back 3000 years ago, vanished from the earth, leaving only the three moon- like mounds of dirt. Archaeological excavation discovered the mystery country. All the relics were displayed in the museum after restored. Odd masks, gold belts, giant people...NO reason to miss it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SanXingDui Museum

Hi Yujade,

How long will it take from the city center to the museum by taxi?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,528 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SanXingDui Museum

One of the best, a must see. The relics are unbelievable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SanXingDui Museum

Wow! it's an incredible Museum.

It is a musts in China.

The journey time from Chengdu by bus just 90min. I guess by taxi won't be more than that.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SanXingDui Museum

It seemed about 70 minutes by private car in my recall.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SanXingDui Museum

Thanks everyone.

I think we will go after visiting the Panda Base.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SanXingDui Museum

definitely worth a go! Many relics unearthed at Sanxingdui, and it is not as crowded as other attractions around Chengdu. Can do it in one day together with the pandas on the same direction!

Chengdu, China
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SanXingDui Museum

It usually takes an hour or so to reach Sanxingdui from the city center. This is a highly recommended attraction for its important position archaeologically and historically.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SanXingDui Museum

It's worthwhile and not the usual presentation of dusty Chinese relics. Very informative and well-done. Quite a mysterious culture. The entrance to the museum is quite pricey, RMB 82 (Nov 2011) and the grounds are extensive...maybe too much so. Don't miss the Bronzes which look kind of alien in appearance, definitely not standard Chinese.

Transport: you can get there by private car but I suppose rather pricey if only one or two of you. By public transport, easy and cheap. From Zhaojue bus station (next to the temple on the north side), a bus to Guanghan city is RMB 15 and they leave frequently. By expressway, 30 minutes. At Guanghan bus station, outside on the street are public buses, bus #6 (may have sign as 006) costs RMB 1.5 and takes 15 minutes, drops you at gate of Sanxingdui Museum. Return journey can be done in reverse. There is also a bus (less frequent) that goes by a longer route directly from the gate in front of the Museum back to Chengdu North bus station (near train station), takes about an hour but drops off in more convenient location. RMB 16.

I spent about 2 hours at Sanxingdui itself, so all total with transport both ways, total of 4 hours' excursion at all-in RMB 115 including my entrance fee and transport. Plus a bit extra for a small snack in Guanghan.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 23:13
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SanXingDui Museum

Forgot to say: I did Sanxingdui right after a visit to the Giant Panda Breeding Center. Took taxi from Center to Zhaojue Bus station. This is fairly efficient, as they are both out on the northeast side of town so no need to backtrack all the way to the more congested center area (i.e. area around the main train station). Someone springing for a private car could come up with same sort of plan. Pandas 8-10 am, travel, Sanxingdui 11:30-2 pm, return to Chengdu for something else by 3 pm.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 23:18