We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chengdu, China for 9 days

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chengdu, China for 9 days

I'm going to visit my auntie and family in Chengdu from 26 Jan until early of Feb 2013 for a duration of 9days. Is it wise to visit JiuZaiGou by the end of Jan? Also, is it recommended to go for YangTze River Cruise in Jan too? What are the alternatives trips to consider in Chengdu?Thanks.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Jiuzhaigou is cold in Jan. But it will also see less travelers and flights and hotels and tickets are better discounted.

3-4 days for Chengdu panda, leshan buddha and Emeishan and 2-3 days in Jiuzhaigou or 1-2 day trip to Chongqing Dazu Carving and city sights can well fit into your 9-day length.

No so fond of the idea of days staying on Yangzte cruise.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Thank you very much

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Jiuzhai Valley National Park+Bifengxia Panda Breeding&Research Centre+Shangli Ancient Town+Mount Emei+Leshan Giant Buddha are always the perfect fit for travellers firstly visiting Sichuan.It is able to fill your 9 days holiday in Chengdu.

As it is misty and foggy at the end of Jan in Three Gorges area,it makes no sense to do Yangtze cruise,futhermore,it takes you downstream,and you have to take plane back to Chengdu.

An itinerary for you :

D1-D3 fly to Jiuzhai Valley,and back to Chengdu by plane

D4 catch bus to Bifengxia Panda centre down south to Chengdu,and stay in Shangli Ancient Town over there for one night

D5-7 catch bus to and visit Mount Emei

D8 drive to Leshan and visit Giant Buddha ,then back to Chengdu

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
62 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Word of warning. The time of year you are arriving is the most difficult time to travel around anywhere in China.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

it's true of words of Ian C. It's difficult time to travel around during holiday. but you will have chance to experience the most important day for Chinese.

Sichuan, China
Destination Expert
for Jiuzhaigou County, Chengdu
Level Contributor
721 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Jiuzhaigou isn't too bad during the national holiday so it could be a good time to get out of the city (where everything is closed down) and go there. Cities and city routes are really busy with people going home for the new year. Tourist sites (epecially cold ones) aren't that busy.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Many thanks for your informative tips! Good day!

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Hi wanderchina, do you know any good place to stay in Shangli? Any website to view the scenery of Shangli Ancient Town or to view the place to stay?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

I have got back from Chengdu in Feb, just an update to all replies. I think it is pretty easy to travel around in Chengdu. Taxi drivers are honest and go by meter. Touristic places are easily accessible via public transportation. Jiu Zai Gou during winter period offers different kind of breataking view to all visitors. We joined local tour (ground arrangement) and thank to the low peak season, it is more than 50% discount compared to peak season.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Chengdu, China for 9 days

Hi Wei.. This is Lew here from KL too. FYI, I am planning to go Chengdu this coming November. I will spend around 9 days in Chengdu too. Is it possible for you to email me the full itinerary of your experience in Chengdu including the whole expenses? Thanks a lot.