We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

What is the best was to go from Chengdu to Langmusi?

Is the only way through Zoige? (=Ruo'ergai if I understand corectly)

How many hours does it take to get there?

can I catch connecting bus to Langmuasi the same day?

if not, what is there to see/do and do you have any tips for hostel? and where from does the bus to Langmusi going? Is there a central bus station?

Thank you!

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

Only possible on a private car. If using public transport you can only reach Ruoergai first day evening. You get Langmusi next day. Just google for overnight.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

Only possible on a private car. If using public transport you can only reach Ruoergai first day evening. You get Langmusi next day. Just google for overnight. If you would stop over Jiuzhaigou. You could ask if there is bus Jiuzhaigou - Langzhou available. The bus goes over Langmusi.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,954 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

Short version: you should plan on this being a 1.5 day journey with an overnight somewhere.

Long version:

Even with a private car, it's going to be a long haul not to mention very expensive. Figure by road:

--Central Chengdu to Songpan: 6 hours

--Songpan to Chuanzhusi (junction between north highway and turnoff to Jiuzhaigou: 0.5 hours

--Chuanzhusi to Zoige (Ruo'ergai) and yes this is the fastest way to go: 1.5 to 2 hours

--Zoige to Langmusi: 2 hours

That's a total of 10 hours, and assumes no backup due to road construction that is underway on the Chengdu-Songpan part of the trip. I personally think this is too far and too dangerous for a single Chinese driver to make all in one day. I believe you will get one-way prices for a private car to go all the way, in the RMB 1800-2000 range, minimum. If a solo, you'd be financially better off flying to JZH airport at Chuanzhusi then hiring a car to Zoige then afternoon bus to Langmusi. Not to mention better off timewise.

My suggestion to you for cutting costs without losing too much time, is to try to get the public bus from Chengdu Chadianzi bus station to Zoige--I think there is one at 06:30 or 07:00 daily, sometimes a second also. This takes the better part of 9 hours and IIRC is about RMB 200 or maybe a bit less. The Zoige-Langmusi bus used to be daily but at 14:30 pm, so you will arrive too late to get this. Plan B: Outside the Zoige bus station, there are usually a bunch of private drivers offering services, and you might be able to find somebody to take you to Langmusi but I suspect he'd want RMB 300-400. Pricey unless you can find a person or two to share costs. Note that I'd only try this gambit when days are long--between May and September--so you're off the roads before dark. If it's too late in the day to find anybody, Plan C is to stay overnight in Zoige and then find a ride the next morning. If you don't want to spring for a private car/driver, then you can try a public bus that is passing the Langmusi junction on the way to somewhere further north, and will let you off.

Langmusi: need to understand the road geography. Langmusi village itself is not right on the main highway but a few km down a side road turnoff. Very few public intercity buses go down this turnoff and into the village. Most instead stop on the highway at the turnoff which is by a bridge. From the junction, you'd need to hitch a lift with a private car, minibus, or donkey cart or long hike (not recommended) to the village itself. It's a bit of a pain. Langmusi doesn't have a true "bus station;" the buses that do come to the village just congregate at a particular spot in town.

Zoige is a bit of a "dead zone" for tourists especially those staying overnight, so your best chance of meeting up with other north-bound travelers like foreign backpackers, who would be willing to share cost of a private car, would be at Songpan. Public bus Chengdu to Songpan, again early from Chadianzi Bus station, arriving by mid-afternoon. Probably stay at a hostel there and meet up with/ask around if there are other travelers heading to Langmusi. If so (likely), have hostel call for a car that night for early departure the next morning. My guess is a regular car that can take 3-4 passengers would be RMB 600-700 from Songpan-Langmusi. Unfortunately, there's no direct public bus on this route.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

There are 2 direct ways to Langmusi.

Opt#1: Chengdu- Langmusi, please see post#1 and post#2.

Opt#2: Lanzhou- Langmusi, by Lanzhou- Jiuzhaigou bus. The departure time is at 07:30 and will drop off at the Langmusi bridgehead around 15:00. Walk for 4KM to the town centre. The bus fare is RMB120pp.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 18:20
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

Right now there is no internet access by Ruoergai region (Sichuan side, OK by Langmusi). Be ware of this and prepare something in advance.

6. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 05:21
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

If i were you at Ruoergai, i would try thumbing a car on the road side for a free ride northwards. So many cars run by there on their trip between Gangsu and Sichuan. If you could some Mandarin, you try asking the different car drivers by your or other lodging places if you could hitch a ride to Langmusi. I guess you are a westerner who generally is "safe" to those drivers.

8. Re: Chengdu --> Langmusi doable in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 05:17