We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chengdu itinerary comments please

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Chengdu itinerary comments please

(2 adults with 10 yr old boy)

Day 1: Fly to Chengdu on Fri around 9:00am , arrange car drive to Mt Ermei. and Spend night at Mt Erme.

( any good lodging place? only 1 night as long as it clean, convenient would be good)

Day 2: driving back and Leshan big buddah with a side trip to Huanglong Xi Ancient town

Any other place should we stop?

Day 3: Panda center by car, People park and SiChuan Opera

(Any link to SiChuan Opera tix? )

Day 4: QinggChen Shan and Dujiangyan by car, and any other place should we stop by?

Day 5: JinLi, TiBaTen Place, Narrow Wide?

Day 6: morning train to Beijing

Thx

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

D1 airport pickup;Leshan Giant Buddha;overnight in Mt Emei

D2 Mt Emei;Huanglongxi;overnight in Chengdu

D3 Panda Base;People's Park;Sichuan Opera;overnight in Chengdu

D4 Mount Qingcheng;Dujiangyan Ancient Hydro-project;overnight in Chengdu

You'd better not build any more attractions in your day trip,otherwise you are pressed for time.

D5 River-viewing-tower Park;Jinli Street,Tibetan Quater;Narrow and Wide Lanes;Chunxi Rd;overnight in Chengdu

D6 depart for train station

If you have any questions,please feel free to let me know.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

I'm not liking your plan that much. Some of it is redundant and it's spread over too many days. If you're going to Emei Shan, I'd skip Qingchenshan. The dinosaurs at Zigong are usually a hit with adults and kids--I'd put it above some of the lesser Chengdu stuff. Most of the "old towns" close to Chengdu are re-created, as is Jinli--it's all pretty much for the tourists, but if you must.... In some instances you're placing secondary sights above better ones; some real missed opportunities here, IMO.

I also think your plan to train 27 horribly long hours from Chengdu to Beijing is a time-waster. FLY! Your time is valuable and well worth a few hundred RMB extra per person it would cost vs train. Maybe even less of a difference, since the only way you're going to guarantee sleepers on a train is to use an agent and pay a commission. Consider flying from Chongqing which is sometimes a little cheaper...as follows with this re-ordered itinerary:

Fri Day 1: Pickup at airport by private car and go first to Huanglongxi for a few hours including lunch; car returns you to Chengdu by midafternoon for hotel check-in. (Yes, I'm well aware that it is in the same direction as Leshan/Emei). Head out to park of your choice for people-watching and relaxation--you can do this yourself by taxi or subway or foot, depending where your hotel is located. Dinner and strolling at nearby Kuanxiangzi Alley (walkable from People's Park).

Sat Day 2: Another good day for a car to get some efficiencies. Pandas first thing in morning. Be there when the ticket office opens at 08:30 and get to the back of the complex first then work your way forward to the entrance/exit. Allow until about 10:30-11:00. Have car take you around the outer ring road to Dujiangyan for lunch then visit the ancient irrigation works until about 4 pm. Arrange for car to drop you at the front/main entrance and pick you up from one of the back entrances by one of the pagoda hills. Car can take you back to central Chengdu for dinner and then the Sichuan opera show.

Sun Day 3: Morning go to either Jinli Street/Tibetan Quarter, or Wenshu Temple. Lunch in Chengdu then check-out of hotel and have car take you to Leshan, afternoon at Buddha then car drops you at Baoguo Village at foot of Emei Shan. Overnight there, maybe somewhere like the Teddy Bear Hostel.

Mon Day 4: Emei Shan all day. You might not like the simplicity of the monastery accommodation on the mountain itself, but that's an option as is going back down to Baoguo to stay the night. I'm going to assume that with a 10-year old in tow, you aren't going to be hardcore and try to hike every last step and corner of Emei Shan...which would take another day or so. I presume instead you will review the internal shuttle bus options and a map of the place and plan your full day to best advantage.

Tues Day 5: Morning car or bus to Zigong, this will take about 3.5-4 hours using a direct road and not going back to Chengdu. Let's assume you'll be in Zigong by 12:00-13:00. Snack then Dinosaur Museum for a couple of hours. Salt Museum and poking about the old teahouses and riverfront mahjong tables of Zigong. This is a gritty little city that sees few foreigners but a good glimpse of how "regular China" lives without all the glitz and Gucci shops. Overnight there.

Wed Day 6: First morning bus Zigong to Dazu (or can arrange a private car), takes about 3 hours by bus or a bit less by private car. Visit the wonderful Dazu grottoes, particularly Baodingshan and adjacent Shengshousi temple. With a snack/lunch break onsite at the entrance village + onsite time, 4 hours is enough. Time enough to get to Chongqing for dinner and an overnight stay. Public bus is an inexpensive option between Dazu and central Chongqing, as they leave every 1/2 hour until about 17:30, takes 2 hours.

Thurs Day 7: Morning flight Chongqing to Beijing, arriving in central city from airport at similar time to what you had planned using train arrival.

So altogether, 2 nights Chengdu, 2 nights Emei Shan/Baoguo, 1 night Zigong, 1 night Chongqing.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

Mt Emei really worth it? I think not really. You can report back.

Now that you will be in this region, understandable that you see as much as time allows. I would do D2 first then D1. Other arrangement not a big deal.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

Thx, all for detailed reply !!!

I'm wondering if we could do LeShan and Huanglongxi as a day trip and skip Emei -- since Emei and QingChen is kind similar? So we don't need overnight at Emei , save some hotel chkIn chkOut work. This way we could stay same place at Chengdu.? On the day 1, we could some Chengdu city sight seeing upon arriving.

My son has been quite of few Dinosaur Museum in US and he's not into Dinosaur as much these days. He's never been overnight train. Only train experience is from NY -->DC.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

Yes,you can do a day trip of Leshan Giant Buddha and Huanglongxi Old Town together.Just choose either Qingcheng or Emei if you are not so interested in religions.

When are you going to Chengdu?It seems too much if you stay in Chengdu for 5 days.Would you consider a short trip to Kham or Amdo to experience the Tibetan culture?

Edited: 28 June 2013, 13:31
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

or you may consider having a trip to Southern Sichuan Bamboo Sea

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

Thank everyone for feedback. !!

With a 10 yr old, I don't want too rushed. We were in China 5 yr ago, 1st wk 3 of us got stomach sick,

we even did not eat any street food, all food from nice restaurant. I was the worst and had to go to hospital got 2 bottles IV injection. We stayed 8 different hotel during 3 wk trip. :(

So this time we basic just split our 18 days trip only in 3 places ( Xian, Chengdu, Beijing). Leave a day or 2 plan nothing just in case for unexpected thing.

I think our itinerary will be like following, may be some day need switched:

D1 (Fri-0719)): arriving 9:00am, go to hotel (TBD) leave bag if rm not ready, then go to People Park, Jingli Ancient Pedestrian Street and Du Fu Thatched Cottage.

D2. (Sat -0720): LeShan and HuanglongXi

D3. (Sun - 0721): Panda and Opera ( Is there a url for tix reservation? any other good show for night?)

D4. (Mon -0722): QingchengShan and DuJiangYan

D5.(Tue - 0723): Sleep in, wander in city (River-viewing-tower Park, Tibetan Quater, Narrow Wide lane etc)

D6 (Wed - 0724): train to Beijing

I'll ask hotel comments in a different thread.

Many Thanks.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

This itinerary sounds good for a relaxing holidays.

Food is usually safe,but you may have eaten some food you were allergic to.Find out which food is good for you and which not.Chengdu is a kingdom of cuisine,so try to grab a chance to taste different kind of food.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

I would advise you to take a probiotic. You can get travel probiotics that don't require refrigeration. My husband and I have both suffered severe traveller's diarrhoea so I really sympathise with you. Ask you doctor for a prescription for an antibiotic like Bactrim or Norfloxacin to take with you just in case.

We enjoyed the Sichuan cuisine in Chengdu, it's pretty spicy so you will need to enjoy chilli! The street food in Jingli Street is amazing and good quality. It is apparent that the vendors pay attention to hygiene so I felt confident eating there.

Most traveller's diarrhoea is caused by waterborne bacteria so it is advisable to avoid salad or unpeeled fruit. I never drink fruit juices unless I see it made with no added water. Some years ago I drank fruit juice in Egypt because I was assured by a guide that it was safe. I was sick for more than a week after we left Egypt and continued our trip in Europe.

I suffer food intolerance and have learned to manage this over the years. This is quite different to traveller's diarrhoea which can be extremely dangerous. We have never been sick from food in China. Have a look at websites like traveldoctor.com.au/Page/Knowledge-Hub/Trave…

And have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 29 June 2013, 08:23
10. Re: Chengdu itinerary comments please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:18