We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
212 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

I have long weekend on Aug 17th? Is it crazy to travel to Chenghu...will the weather simply be too hot etc.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

Cheng Du can be very hot in summer. Depends on how much you can tolerate heat. But if you do want to visit there and you dont have a lot free time.. I know there are still quite a lot tourists go in summer. It's all up to you

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
212 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

I have the weekend only

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

There are some nice places around Chengdu for summer vocation,Qingcheng Back Mountain,Ya'an Bifengxia,Pingle old town,Tiantai Mountain,Xiling Snow Mountain are all quite nice and cool in Summer, avoid Emei mountain ,it's extremely crowded during Summer.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

If you are traveling all the way from Michigan for a 3-day weekend in Chengdu, I'd say that doesn't make a lot of sense. But I suspect your starting point must be closer. Where are you traveling from?

Sure you can have a good Chengdu weekend in mid August. Just know in advance it will be hot and you may also have rain.

chengdu
Level Contributor
151 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

the temperature would be around 35℃, but the worst is the humidity. You may feel that you were in sauna...You'd better go Mt. Emeishan, the Southen bamboo forest and Mt. Qincheng which are around Chengdu.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
212 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

Hi, i'm in China for a 3 week business trip (18th trip to China). I have a weekend with no work commitments and instead of staying in Shanghai; where I have already spent many days; I thought I would continue to visit key sites around China. So that is why I was thinking of a weekend in Chengdu. Again, I only have two full days...arriving Friday evening and leaving Monday morning.

Thanks for all the help.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

#6 -- Understand. That makes sense. You could still have a good weekend in Chengdu, even if the weather isn't perfect. What I would think about are the percentage of things you'd like to see or do that are indoors vs. outdoors.

I would imagine, given your many China trips, that you've already been to places closer to Shanghai, such as Suzhou, Hangzhou and Nanjing. If not, it might be worth considering one of them. They are all accessible by a fairly short train ride, which makes them less time consuming.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 13:28
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

I would take the nonstop 4:10 pm Friday flight PVG to LJG (Lijiang) where it will be cooler, but perhaps a shower or two. While Chengdu is a driving city (to get to attractions), Lijiang is a walking city for a weekend trip, unless you choose to go up Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.

I would stay in the old city, tour through it and up to Black Dragon Pool Park. There is a Naxi music concert, Lijiang Impressions Show, and short taxi rides to Baisha, an old town with Dongba roots, and Shuhe Ancient Town.

In Chengdu it seems major sights, other than pandas and the world's largest building, are a long drive away (multi-hour), such as Leshan and Emeishan.

9. Re: Is it crazy to travel to Chengdu on August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:16