We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reflexology, yes but where?

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
480 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Reflexology, yes but where?

Hi and thanks for reading.

Starting to plan our April trip, I have flights and the Shangri-La hotel booked (7 nights) and now Im wondering how available are massages/reflexolgy for westerners.

I like tradtional chinese reflexology and not the hotel spa massages that are over priced.

We are booked at the Shangri-La and Im wondering if we could walk outside our hotel and find places nearby that would be a legitimate business. I understand we will be charged the westerner price and Im ok with that.

I guess im wondering if these businesses will be easily identifiable and not have a sleezy look or feel about them.

Many thanks for your advice,

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

There are many legistimate massage parlors in Chengdu.When you do the tours around Chengdu,the driver and guide will advise where to go.You have to know the price before doing that.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,762 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

I would not worry about being charged a "westerner's price" as nearly all the good places that I have been to have the prices posted for all to see.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

I've stayed at the Chengdu Shangri-La and my recollection is that there were not a lot of small shops of any kind adjacent to it. But that was two years ago, and it could easily have changed.

What I'd suggest is that you ask the hotel concierge. Get him to write down the name of a decent place and take a taxi there. If you are new to China and new to Chengdu, it might not be easy for you to identify the kind of place you are seeking just by walking around.

If you do go into a place and find that it has pink lights and the girls are dressed in high heels and skimpy skirts, it's probably not the right kind of establishment.

Alternatively, I sometimes just ask a taxi driver when I'm in a new city and want a foot massage. They seem to always know where these spots are located. If you don't speak Chinese, this method might be more difficult.

足疗 is the most common term for foot (reflexology) massage, and you can print that out if you'd like.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

An afterthought: When inquiring about this in English at the hotel concierge desk, it would be better to just say "foot massage." I don't think they will know what you mean if you say you are looking for "reflexology." It's a purely Western term and isn't used here.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

If you come to Chengdu on the tourist purpose,it is more interesting to spend overnight in some nearby scenic spots,e.g.Mount Emei,Mount Qingcheng,rather than staying at the same hotel for 7 days in a row.

I remember there is one massage parlor in Qintai Rd,where you can see Sichuan Opera.

Please feel free to write to me if you need any help in Chengdu.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

Agree with number 5, above. It would be a pity to spend 7 nights in a five-star chain hotel, insulated from the real China. You will come away with a very distorted experience of what China is actually like.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

Many thanks for your replies and yes, we are planning on going to the mountain region as well.

Cheers :)

8. Re: Reflexology, yes but where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:21