We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do from Chengdu....

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to do from Chengdu....

Hello all,

I've been trying to plan a trip to China with my roommate in September and so far we figured out Beijing, Xian, and Chengdu with a visit to the Giant Buddha (Thanks Tripadvisor/Virtual Tourist! :D.) Anyway.....we're still trying to figure out what to do after Chengdu. Train to Lhasa? Yangtze River cruise? Any suggestions would be very helpful. We basically have the 15/16 - 21st to play with. We're trying to leave from Shanghai or Hong Kong back to the states. Suggestions welcome!

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

Look Guilin or Lijiang. Tibet also fine. Avoid Yangtze.

chengdu
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

Hi Natasa,

considering you will leave from Shanghai or Hongkong, I may suggest you follow the Yangtze to Yichang and then fly to Shanghai. The Yangtze cruise journey is 4 days and 3 nights to go downstream. After that, you can spend the rest 2-3 days to explore the watertowns around Shanghai. If you need further imformation, you can email me victor_kaca@hotmail.com. Hope it can help you a little bit...

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

As you don't have to much time,I suggest you either to take cruise down the Yangtze or spend a few more days in Chengdu's surrounds,such as Leshan Giant Buddha,Mountain Emei or some Tibetan Villages.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking about visiting Mt Emei and was wondering the best way to get there...do you think I will need a guide in Chengdu? Also would you happen to know the current price to hold a panda or participate in the volunteer program?

chengdu
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

The price for holding a panda in Chengdu panda base is 2000yuan/person. The volunteer program in Chengdu panda base is very full now, they won't accept any new booking before 30th July. If you really want to do the vounteer progarm, you can do it in Bifengxia panda base. About the guide, if you can't speak Chinese, you'd better have a guide. I can provide you English driver-guide service in Beijng, Xi'an and Chengdu if you need.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 04:31
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

You can do Bifengxia Panda Reserve and Mount Emei in two or three days according to your duration.Currently,you only can book the panda volunteer program in Bifengxia,as the Chengdu Panda Base suspends this activities.Also you can hold pandas in Bifengxia as well,which costs cheaper.

Note:you need the local travel agency to prepare the health proof to do the volunteer work there.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

Since I just came back from Bifengxia Panda Reserve, I recommend you join the panda volunteer program there. It was real cool experience, feed the panda and have close contact with them.

Some said avoid Yangtze River, actually, Spetember is the best time to cruise along Three Gorges. Try downstream cruise from Chongqing to Yichang, for 4 days and 3 nights.

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

what do we actually need from the local travel agency to prepare the health proof

we are doing the volunteer experience

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

Hi

Suggest you have a look at this itinerary. It will give you a good taste of the mountains and a taste ofTibetan culture especially in Tagong and Ba Mei

Travel from Chengdu >Danba>Ba Mei>Tagong >Kangding>Chengdu

Tagong in particular is brilliant , grasslands abound .

Kanding is somewhat a bus hub to other points

Suggest you googlelina the towns to see what they are about

Perhaps not enough time but well worth the effort

cheers

Save Reply
10. Re: What to do from Chengdu....

As far as I know all the so called English driver-guides in Chengdu are unlicensed "black driver", their cars are unregistered at related tourism administration, it's ILLEGAL and totally not safe; most those cars will stay far away from traffic policeman, especially when drive to Leshan, Mt. Emei and Jiuzhaigou, because there are sometimes traffic policemen checking points on the way. Once got caught, there would be lots of troubles; and most importantly, if there was any accident happened on the way, there would be no proper insurance at all because it's ILLEGAL.

Though so called driver-guide in Chengdu is cheaper, but I strongly advise you not to use it since it's ILLEGAL in Chengdu; safety is the most important concern when you travel out of your own country. When you book a car in Chengdu, make sure it's a licensed car for tourists purpose, otherwise potentially danger is everywhere on the way.