We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Beijing to Chengdu

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Train from Beijing to Chengdu

I need to find out if there is a high speed (sleeper) train that does this route. I will also need to go from Chengdu to Shanghai.

Does anyone know? I cannot seem to find up to date information.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

I can't answer your question as the high-speed train routes are growing so quickly, but high-speed trains (Guotie) are not sleepers, precisely because they are high-speed.

2. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 03:26
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

Oh that is a shame, The trouble is that to fly will cost over £200.

I know that there is a normal sleeper train and it takes 28-30hrs. How comfortable would this be? How much would it cost? My friend and I are used to backpacking so we don't need a high level of comfort. It could also be a way of seeing the countryside.

The reason we wanted to come to Chengdu was for the Panda Sanctuary and to walk up Mount Qincheng.

Is there somewhere else nearer Beijing or Shanghai that we could have these sorts of experiences?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

Do you know if there is a reliable website that gives information about the growing high speed train network?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

Depends when you go. You can pick up a flight for about £100, overnight train will cost between £45-75 depending on class/time plus commission for advance purchase by agent (essential). It is better to fly.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

Only one solution, but only available after 1st July this year. By then high speed train service Chengdu-Chongqing-Wuhan-Shanghai will be open. Then it can be bullet train rides all the way from Beijing to Chengdu, but you probably need to change train via Wuhan (or even Zhengzhou), Because very likely they don't want to add the one-stop bullet train solution Beijing-Chengdu. Don't know why.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

The cost of flying Beijing to Chengdu, all -in with taxes, is more like GBP 115, sometimes can find as low as GBP 90. You are either looking for fares in the wrong place or too early. Add me to the list of people who say: fly this route.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 20:05
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

What I meant was the cost of 2 fares, Beijing to Chengdu and then Chengdu to Shanghai, could be over £200. That's almost as much as my flight out from Nepal!

Maybe this time I should settle for just getting from to Beijing to Shanghai by train and spend my time exploring the countryside around these 2 cities.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

This sounds promising. Is there a website where I can get up to date information from?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,702 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Beijing to Chengdu

For flights check www.travelzen.com, for trains check www.china-diy-travel.com