We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
122 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

Planning a trip in early September wanting to see Panda's Big Budda, and Lijiang village how many days do you think would justice to each. We have a total of about 12-14 days. What is the best way to Lijiang from Chengdu?

Shanghai, China
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

The fast way to Lijiang from Chengdu is to flight, which will take you 1.5 hours from Chengdu to Lijiang.

Lijiang town is full of tourists, when you visite Lijiang area, i think you could consider to stay in Suhe town, another ancitent town which is about 10 KM away from Lijing. And Suhe is much quieter than Lijiang.

2. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 03:26
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
122 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

Thank you both lulu b and exploreSWchina. It has been a few years since we were in China and we did fly between cities so I will take that considerations. I will look into incorporating the suggestions you made and it was helpful, seems like I could evenly split the time, I just wasn't sure if I needed more than two or three days in Lijiang.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

Now,the United Airlines runs the flights between Chengdu and San Fransisco.This makes the Americans to travel to Southwest China easier than before.If you have more days,and if you love nature,you'd better visit some off-the-beaten-track areas surround Chengdu or Lijiang,or Kunming,e.g.the Gurgou Tibetan Villages,the Yuanmou Earth Forest and the Dongchuan Red Land.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
522 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

HI ,

I suggest to you, Chengdu - Leshan - Emei - Ya'an - Xichang - Lugu Lake - Lijiang.

There are a lot of scenery on the way.

You can do the panda volunteers.

Chongqing, China
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

If you have a loose budget, we sugget to heir a vehicle, chengdu 2 days- e'mei mt. 1 day- Le'shan buddha 1 day-xi'chang yi minority 1 day- Lugu lake 3 day- lijiang 2 days - tiger jumping gorge 1 day - Shangri-la 2 day-yubeng 2 days

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

If I were you I would only stay 2 days in Chengdu,spend all the rest time in Lijiang area.

The villages in northwestern Yunnan are really nice, I suggest the following itinerary Lijiang-Tai'an village-Shigu-Qiaotou-Shangrila-Baishuitai(White Water Terrence)-Tiger Leaping Gorge-Daju-Baoshan Stone Village-Baisha village-Wenhai village-Lijiang, it takes about 9 days by public transporation,all are very peaceful and authentic villages. Don't waste your time on Shuhe as it has became extremely touristy,completely occupied by all kinds of tourist shops.

The bus from Lijiang to Chengdu takes 24 hours,dangerous road,I would never take it again.

No direct train,you have to change to another train in Guangtong, all together more than 22hours train ride.

So the only recommending way is by airplane.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

Personally we Loved Lijiang so much we changed our plans to stay longer. It's simply stunning in the old Town. Definitely take a visit to the Lake and to Tiger Leaping Gorge. It's a great place to shop too. You can also go up to Snow Mountain as well or visit the Naxi villages. It had a more authentic feel in Lijiang.

Tourists wise, it was mostly Chinese tourists there, we didn't see many other international tourists. In fact large groups of Chinese tourists kept surrounding us at the Lake and taking our photos cos we are foreigners. That was a strange experience! lol

We didn't enjoy Chengdu as much, it had it's charms and the Panda trip was good, though just for a short trip. I did the hold a panda thing, cost £100 and was literally for less than a minute! Thought it would at least be longer for that much money! The pandas were gorgeous though, been my favorite animal since I was a child.

The Leshan Buddha trip was good too, I wouldn't recommend the boat ride though. Watch out for scammers there taking you on a fake bus if you arrange it yourself to go to Leshan.

Lijiang was my favorite place out of everywhere we went in China.

Shanghai, China
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

Thanks for that info! I was wondering about the Leshan Buddha trip, is there any obvious way to spot or avoid the scammers with their fake buses?! So many things in China can appear dodgy but are actually legit and vice versa.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
522 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning Chengdu and Lijiang how many days each?

YES, In front of the Leshan Giant Buddha ,the situation is not simple.

From the bus station to the Leshan Giant Buddha , about 8 km .