We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

Hi,

I fly into Beijing on the 12th August (first trip ever) and arrive at 3pm. I am planning on heading straight away to Xinjing province as I have 5 days in Beijing on my way back.

My plan is:

13th August: Beijing-Urumqi (first morning flight).

Spend 13th and 14th in Urumqi.

13th August Urumqi-Kashgar (catch an evening flight to Kashgar)

14th Kashgar Sunday market and visit any scenic places of interest

15th Kashgar-Urumqi (catch an evening flight back to Urumqi)

16th Urumqi-Turpan by bus (first bus in the morning?)

16th-17th Turpan (visiting the scenic places of interest)

18th Catch a bus from Turpan to Hotan City.

Is this a viable route plan and number of days to spend in each city to see the things we need to see in the time frame I have?

And if so, is CTIS reliable (the government tour agency)? Or should I just get the tours and flights all done through CNET?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am heading out to china for a desert marathon on the 20th August in Hotan City and fly back to Beijing immediately after the race so time is limited for me to get as much into my trip as possible.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

Hi:

Welcome to Xinjiang. Here is the proposed plan for your trip.

Option 1:

13th flight from Beijing to Urumqi then tour to Turpan. visit Jiaohe ancient city, Karez underground water system.

14th, Day tour in Turpan, visit Bizaklik Thousand Buddha Caves, Gaocheng Ancient City, flaming Mountain, Tuyuk Village. Evening flight to Kasghar or next day morning flight to Kashgar.

15th, Day tour in Kashgar city, visit animals market, Sunday market, Id Kah mosque, Old Town, Apak Hoja tomb, visit Uyghur family and have lunch or dinner with them.

16th day tour to Karakul Lake on KKH and Tashkorgan on Pamir Plateau. Overnight there

17th Return to Kashgar.

18th Kashgar to Hotan via Yarkand, 520 km, visit knife factory, yarkand golden grave yard, Yarkand old town.

19th Day tour in Hotan, visit Hotan carpet, silk, Jade factories, Hotan Jade rivier, Hotan Museum, Hotand Sunday Market.

Option 2:

13th Urumqi to Turpan

14th turpan to Urumqi

15th and 16th Urumqi if you want, 16th evening or afternoon flight to Kashgar.

17th tour to Karakoram Highway.

18 Day tour in Kashgar city as well as none touristy Awat village market which is the same of Sunday market 15 years ago. On this day you can visit Sunday Market which is active every, but you can’t only see lifestock section of Sunday market which you can see in Awat (Prosperous) Market.

19th Kashgar to Hotan.

20th Hotan tour or whatever you plan to do.

For more info, you can contact with www.Kashgarguide.com team which is a local travel service in Kashgar.

2. Re: Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2011, 11:07
3. Re: Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 16:47
Edited: 16 June 2011, 16:47
4. Re: Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 10:05
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

Hi, it's too late to share some of personal tarvel experinces, but will help for other future coming travelers.

Your itinerary is excellent, arrival at Beijing and countinue down to Xinjiang (Kashgar) but return back to inner china,is somehow an extra expenses, travelers love to do crossing Khunjerab border - KKH - Hunza - Gilgit - Islamabad (fly back). Or keeping their arrivals at Islamabad international airport - Gilgit-Hunza - Sost - Khunjerab pass - Tashguran - Kashgar - Turfan - Urumqi - Bejing (Fly back). This itinerary will help you to explore two countries by overland on very reasonable exepnses, and will get an oppurtunity to see multiple places in short time.

Me from Hunza, Pakistan and always love to do this mini adventours trip from Islamabad - Urumqi & back. I am visiting in month of november will have 16 days for this trip.

Happy Travels!

HT

6. Re: Visiting Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Pakistani border and Hotan

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:18