We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

Planning to attend Shanghai Expo in October 2010, then onto Lijiang and Kunming Yunnan with final stop in Hong Kong before retuning to Canada.

As there are no non-stop flights bewteen Lijiang and Shanghai or Hong Kong, and we try to minimize hotel changes, is it advisable to plan for flight itinerary as follows?

Vancouver- Shanghai for the Expo.

Shanghai- Lijiang with connecting flight to Kunming but not stopping over. 2 nights in Lijiang.

Lijiang-Kunming. 2 Nights in Kunming

Kunming- Hong Kong for a few days

Hong Kong- Vancouver

Please also offer comments on the ease of connecting flight at the Kunming Airport to Lijiang.

Thank you.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

Hey JLInternational,

You are quite a planner, 16 months in advance. Just be sure to not buy your international or internal flights or prepay for any hotels yet. That comes much later. See my advice at: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c115805/China…

I think you might want to spend three nights in Lijiang and one night in Kunming, if at all. You can make same-day connections through Kunming if need be. Plenty to see and do in Lijiang compared with Kunming.

Lots of people connect through Kunming, the provincial capital. It is like having to go to Toronto to go to other cities in Ontario. Your connection time will be about two hours to transfer luggage by hand and check in again and get seat assignments for the next flight.

You can find the current flight connections at www.travelzen.com and other Chinese websites. Ignore western sites (Travelocity, Expedia, etc.) for inaccurate fares and schedules. You will not know the actual schedules and rates until around 30-60 days ahead of departure. But about the same frequency will be there.

Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

There is direct flight to Shanghai to Lijiang. Schedule as follow:

FM9451 08:40-13:30

MU5806 14:25-19;20

MU5810 17:45-22:35

Kunming is a morden city, one night is enough.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

Thank you all for the information. I see that flight changes in Kunming is inevitable. Hiowever, with the direct flights, I hope that they can check our luggusage throught to Lijiang.

While in Kuuming, how much time shoud I budget to cover the Stone Forest?

4. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 June 2009, 08:38
Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

you can do research about the flights from here:

www.travelzen.com.cn/index.php?type=flightInt

6. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 June 2009, 08:40
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

I also agree with SBS you will find it better to spend as much time as you can in Lijiang rather than Kunming.

I have done the connecting flight at Kunming airport for Lijiang and it was fine. Kunming is a big airport as it services a lot of places.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

I guess I was not explicit enough. The exact flight schedules are not firmed up until about 60-90 days before departure. Until then they are conjecture. (There will be connnections in Kunming. Whether or not there are one-stop direct flights is anyone's guess.)

Itinerary planning is great, but hotel and flights this far in advance are meaningless if price and convenience mean anything. Everything will change.

9. Re: Suggestion for flight itinerary to Lijiang and Kunming

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 05:18