We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best long-term (1+ year) venture to ethnic minorities

Which Yunnan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phuket, Thailand
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Best long-term (1+ year) venture to ethnic minorities

Hi there,

I have a job that allows me to work 5-weeks, and then have 5-weeks off - a nice 6-months off a year. I have spent the last three years on and off living in and out of three or four villages in Sapa, northern Vietnam, with Black Hmong tribes-people. I take lots of photos, don't see many tourists where I go, and grew to love a few families. Am am like abrother to many...

But now, I would love to emerse myself somewhere in China... you know, authentic way of life, not decorations or put-on outfits to please tourists, just some real place that would be good to get to know some people, to learn about them, and photograph them. I don't mind sleeping on dirt floors, helping to cook in open fires and getting dirty in rice and corn fields.

Anyone have some good ideas of some out of the way places that might be a real-life adventure along those lines...? Anywhere in SE Asia would be fine, but China seems interesting... maybe some off-the-beaten-track place that is uncomfortable maybe for the average person, but intriguing to the curious...? Asking a lot I know, as even to mention here is probably meaning many people may already go there, but maybe some comment of a far-away place that still has some separation from the outside world would be really good...

Many thanks for your time,

Cass.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 20:37
Usa
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best long-term (1+ year) venture to ethnic minorities

Possibly most rugged, remote, unaltered by tourism and also stunning place I can think of is the Dulong valley which feeds into the Salween River in the NW corner of Yunnan. Inhabited by the Drung minority - only about 4600 left. Good luck in there if you go! Right now is perfect for flower blooming.

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best long-term (1+ year) venture to ethnic minorities

Welcome to Yunnan Province with many different kinds of ethnic minorities 's villages, especially NW Yunnan.

3. Re: Best long-term (1+ year) venture to ethnic minorities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 05:16