We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
409 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

Hi all, we are planning to take a bus from Kunming to Jing Hong in April to catch the Mekong ferry. What's the experience like on that route these days?

I hear varying stories about possibly a windy, horrible road or possibly a new super highway, and about only having old sleeper buses running this route, or possibly shiny new VIP coaches.

Which stories are correct? I'd love to think it's the VIP coach on the shiny new super-highway, but I'm not sure that's true.

Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

If you are coming to Dali and Lijiang, you better take the bus from Dali, bcus even the bus from Kunming to Xishuangbanna has to pass Dali as well. It will be shorter distance from Dali. The bus goes everyday. From Lijiang, it goes around 2pm, 16 hrs will take you there.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
409 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

Thanks for the tip. We will be in lijiang. But are they only running sleepers on that route or coaches too?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

The freeway was finished to jinghong nearly a couple of years back now.

The roads into the hills can be quite windy, bumpy and seriously dangerous if not in a bus. But the boat you are taking leaves from a fairly central terminal so i don't know why you'd think you were going into the hills.

Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

Only sleepers go on. I took it last winter, not smelly. The road was good. The boat may go once a week then.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
409 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

@Lijiangguide - Would it be a set day of the week? Makes it a bit difficult to plan that leg of the trip!

@Skeggles - I don't want to go into the hills, just wondered if the road to Jing Hong was windy and rough. Glad to hear it's a freeway now. But still hate sleeper buses with a passion!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

its about a 9hr trip from kunmimg by express bus. the trip from lijiang to kunming is also relatively long - again express bus.

get the plane from lijiang probably via kunming. or fly in to jinghong from kunming.

like you i hate sleeper buses. think about it - while you are on the bus - i'm in a nightclub, partying hard. then i stagger back to my nice soft(?? it is china) bed, sometmes i forget to get in it, then wake up, breakfast served --ahhh, life is good! mosey on down to the pool. etc etc so i see bus travel as a total waste of the available hours.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
409 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

Hah! Have to agree with you Skeggles. Life's too short to spend it on buses and trains. That's why we're flying from Xi'an to Kunming ... we did think about the train ride, but its over 30 hours. Did that twice in China already (Beijing to Nanning and then Nanning to Beijing via Guangzhou. Bad form, although you do make good friends and play interesting card games in hard sleeper!

Ahh, I miss the smell of stale tobacco and crushed pumpkin shells in the morning...

Tony

8. Re: What's the latest on buses from Kunming to XiShuangBanna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 14:17