We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Trunk Hot Springs

Which Yunnan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Elephant Trunk Hot Springs

It's about 100k south of Kunming - anyone been there to try out the hotel? No English spoken - I'll try my luck (2 years of Mandarin practice in Sydney so far).

We'll also take the train and stay in Heijing, and take a train trip further up to Yuanmou - we're looking for a comfortable hotel up there.

Will be around Kunming 10 days in all late July, early Aug. Would like to hear some local folk music - so if any festivals on would certainly like to know if anyone if familiar with the area.

Luke

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant Trunk Hot Springs

wow. never heard of those springs. wish i had.

2 years practice.. hmm at least its a start. china will super charge that:-)

you will find a few places that tend to do minority music/dance shows - you can not separate the two. the music brings dancing - and its spectacular - like thai but different and better imo.. Do not be dismissive.and anyway how else are you going to see this stuff??you won't see it in the bar districts - which are pretty good once your into it. only place in china i have seen a 190 cm white trannie in full drag at 1am... first stop would the minority park ( theres actually a few of them) in kunming. pick up a guide - and go through it. it's a showcase but it's surprisingly genuine. so its a good starter.

then ask them for more places to go.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant Trunk Hot Springs

Thanks! I called a hotel near the area to see about making a booking - my moment making a reservation over the phone in Mandarin. It lasted about 3 minutes before they politely said 'dui bu qi, wo bu dung, xie xie, zia jien' (click). More practice!

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant Trunk Hot Springs

The Yuanmou is a small county, but you may find a better hotel in Tulin senic area. I just start to practice my English, wish I can help :)

"zia jien" (it must be "zai jian")

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant Trunk Hot Springs

Elephant Trunk Hot Springs is a resort at Yuxi City. It is two different direction with Yuanmou.

There have 3 resorts near the Hot Spring Area.

Yuanmou' viewpoint is 'SOIL FOREST', I been there but not very interesting. I feel like trek at a desert or trek at Arches National Park, UT. It is not as beauty as like that.

At #3, I try to translate as;

dui bu qi= sorry,

wo bu dung= I don't know,

xie xie= thank you very much,

zia jien= good bye

5. Re: Elephant Trunk Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:16