We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
422 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

Hi all, I am being told that they only run hard sleeper and hard seat trains on the Kunming to Lijiang line, but cnvol.com quotes prices for soft seats and soft sleepers on the overnight train K9626/K9627.

Can anyone confirm which is correct?

Thanks, Tony

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
182 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

We had the same issue (websites quoting soft sleeper prices) but there is definitely only hard sleeper available for Kunming to Dali and Lijiang. The Kunming Lijiang train is a double decker with slightly newer carriages so there are 4 berths per compartment (no door as usual) and some six berth at the end of each carriage near the stairs but all still hard sleeper.

Edited: 16 March 2011, 10:16
Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
422 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

Hey thanks for clearing that up. Tony

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

is it possible to book the tickets from intrnet or in other city in china? is it possible to buy them the same day arriving in Kunming by plane?

Thnaks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

If they are available you can buy them on the same day.

You may also buy them through an travel agency also from the internet.

Edited: 11 August 2011, 02:21
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

but is it possible to buy the ticket in a travel agency in Guilin, for a train in Kunming, some days before?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

No, you should buy them from a travel agency or hotel located in Kunming where the tickets are sold. These are not on a country-wide reservation system yet. You could try to buy day of departure, as there are several trains. Obviously, during the national holidays, that would be impossible.

The fast C, D and G trains are on an on-line, computerized reservation system, mostly available in Chinese only.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,521 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

Not available online.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

all train tickets are sold only locally. so if you arrive in kunming, thats where you will buy your ticket to dali/lijaing. when i took the train in april/11. it was older model with soft seat/sleeper. i was able to purchase it the same morning because it was low season. i was told by the hotel owner that high season has to be bought in advance. not sure when you will travel to kunming, if it is high season, you may have to spend a day or two in kunming before you travel to dali/lijiang. you can really spend 1-2 days in kunming.

beware of taxi scams. dont get into any car unless IT IS A REAL TAXI!!! when i was in kunming and dali, there were chinese signage all over the place warning chinese about taxi scams.

hope this helps.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

All train tickets in China are NOT just sold locally only. All fast trains now, C, D and G are available on line in advance from anywhere in world as long as you understand Chinese and have a place in China to have them delivered. So your Kunming hotel could buy tickets for you to go from Shanghai to Beijing, if necessary. But your Guilin hotel could not buy tickets which depart from Kunming.

Lesser T, K, L and other trains still are only on sale in the city of departure.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Soft seats or soft sleepers Kunming to Dali/Lijiang?

thanks very much for the information. I see that arriving from Guilin to kunming, I´ll need to stay overnight as taking a train that night will be quite difficult task.

Thanks again.