We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Which Yunnan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Hi everyone,

Im booked to go to Yuanyang next month and I want to break the monster bus journey from Kunming.

So on the way there I'll spend a night in Jianshui (which I am told is roughly half way between Kunming and YY). Can anyone suggest anywhere else that is interesting for the return journey?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Jianshui is a great little stopover to break up that trip, and worth a 1/2 day in the old town area. Another 1/2 day+ if you want to see Tuanshan Village which isn't too far away, and the Swallow Cave, Shuanglong Bridge--maybe your best bet if you want to break up the journey going back.

I did this trip ex-Kunming and return. On the outbound going as far as Jianshui (about 4-ish hours out of Kunming's south bus station), pretty easy trip. Had the afternoon to explore the town and an overnight. Took next morning local bus to Yuanyang (3.5 hours via the winding older road, colorful but a bit bumpy). Arriving late morning. On return trip, I took the day bus from Yuanyang to Kunming, about 7.5 hours but via the newer and smoother road to Gejiu city then to Jianshui (longer km but just as fast timewise as old road), then back to Kunming. In retrospect, I wish I'd stopped again at Jianshui for another afternoon and overnight in the area, but had a prepurchased train ticket out of Kunming for that night.

Otherwise, there's not really much other must-see stuff on the more direct routes Yuanyang-Kunming, though I suppose you can always look around other villages.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Thanks for that. Very useful. So I guess this is how it will work:

Day 1: Arrive Kunming 5pm. Take overnight train to Lijiang

Day 2: Lijiang

Day 3: Lijiang Overnight train to Kunming

Day 4: Arrive Kunming and take bus to Jianshui (overnight in Jianshui)

Day 5: Jianshui to Yuanyang

Day 6: Yuangyang

Day 7: Yuangyang

Day 8: Yuanyang to Jianshui (overnight in Jianshui)

Day 9: Jianshui to Kunming

Day 10: Kunming to home (sniff!)

Any thoughts?

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

if you have a loose budget,a short flight from Lijiang to Xishuangbanna can make your trip much better rather than waste lots of time in Kunming for transfering train or bus,morever,Kunming now turns to be a big construction site for subway,and the whole city is crowded,muddy and noisy.

Day 3 fly from Lijiang to Jinghong(Xishuangbanna)

Day 4 Jinghong to Jiangcheng via rainforest and tea mountain

Day 5 Jiangcheng-Lyuchun-Yuanyang Terrace land

Day 6 Yuanyang

Day 7 Yuanyang to Jianshui

Day 8 Jianshui

Day 9 Jianshui to Kunming

Day 10 trip ends

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Nothing really worth a stop. Especially in case you visit Lijiang.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Jianshui can be a consideration is you are interested in the ancient architectures.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Thoughts:

I would reorient the plan due to train ticket availability, and I think for efficiency reasons and putting another day in Lijiang area, would say add another 1/2 day up front to Jianshui, and don't stop again on the way back but go directly from YY to KMG--it's really not a bad trip, and can be better if you buy yourself two tickets for extra room. ;-)) As follows:.

Day 1: Arrive Kunming 5pm. Stay in town and buy train ticket(s) for future Kunming-Lijiang overnighter for night of Day 6, and if applicable, return Lijiang-Kunming overnighter for Day 9.

Day 2: Kunming-Jianshui morning bus. Aft, overnight Jianshui.

Day 3: Morning nearby Jianshui. Take noon-13:00 pm bus to Yuanyang, so you get to destination before dark.

Day 4 and 5: Yuanyang. Buy your return bus ticket back the morning of the day 5 to ensure your seat.

Day 6: Yuanyang-Kunming bus, usually departs around 09:00-09:30, gets into Kunming around 16:00-16:30. There's a bus in the Kunming South Bus Station Lot that goes directly to the Train Station for RMB 5, look/ask for it. You have time for a dinner and rest before the overnight train departures--I've done this exact schedule, it works like a dream.

Day 7: Early morning arrive Lijiang. Lijiang and surrounding area, maybe Shuhe, Baisha and the valley villages.

Days 8-9: Lijiang area. Shaxi village and TLG are possible long daytrips..

Day 9: Overnight train Lijiang-Kunming.

Day 10: Arrive Kunming early morning. Head for airport or kill time in Kunming.

If your departure from Kunming on Day 10 is afternoon or later, then flying back from Lijiang-Kunming on morning of Day 10 is worth considering, though if there are weather issues and delays, could get dicey.

I found that sleeper tickets--both soft and hard--were plentiful on the Kunming-Lijiang-Kunming overnighters if purchased about 4 days in advance, but sold out on day of travel. This was in November 2011. Which is why I suggest flipping your plan.

Edited: 04 December 2012, 02:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

Great advice guys thank you very much. No chance I could buy train tickets online is there?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

@Gerasto

goto

www.windowofyuanyang.com/index.php…

The most direct way to YuanYang to see the rice terrace

Kunming to Xinjiezhen(YuanYang is further 45 minutes travel time (Yuanyang Aka Nangsha)

This express bus (Kunming to Xinjiezhen )will take roughly 5 hours.

Will arrive at the new bus terminal,then take a cab to the old bus terminal at Xinjie.All rice terrace is scattered all over Xin jie (for short >>Xinjiezhen))

Edited: 18 December 2012, 02:37
Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

More info regarding

Goto this link and for hotel

gokunming.com/en/blog/item/1387/getting_away…

10. Re: Anything interesting between Kunming and Yuanyang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 06:15