We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

online in china without computer?

Which Yunnan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
online in china without computer?

hi everyone,

Im about to go to China for a month and Im now deciding whether to take my laptop with me or not. I don't have smartphone therefore wifi will be of no use for me. I will spend most of my time in Yunnan and Gansu Province, hopefuly out of the big cities. How easy/difficut it is to find internet cafe in the smaller towns? (possibly viliages?) Im trying to get most of the info now, but one never knows. My laptop with charger would be 3+kg, does it worth carrying?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,324 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: online in china without computer?

Many hostels will have a computer you can use. Internet cafes are not easy to find as they tend to be in residential areas, not where the tourists hang out. Moreover they often will refuse foreigners as they need to register you. Some find it is not worth the trouble.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,615 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: online in china without computer?

My laptop/charger is similar in weight. I found taking it worth the trouble on longer trips, since I'm using it for writing and other stuff, not just internet access and making travel reservations....but not all travelers agree, and it can be annoying carting it around and keeping up with it. However, finding internet cafes is hit or miss in some areas--and there are places (ironically most likely in the cities) that will refuse a foreigner access. If you take a laptop, a 3G dongle (I used China Unicom) is the most reliable way to get access in Yunnan, vs expecting wifi. Some hotels and guesthouses have cabled (ethernet) access available in the rooms.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: online in china without computer?

Better to take it along. In every tiny town you find internet cafe, but don't you think it will be a lot of hassle to visit there again and again?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,077 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: online in china without computer?

That's pretty heavy. I'd take a netbook instead.

5. Re: online in china without computer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 18:16
6. Re: online in china without computer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:16