We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver for Yunnan

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
952 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Driver for Yunnan

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Yunnan next year. Duration would be around 7 days. We would like to visit Dali, Lijiang, Kunming and Yuanyang. We would prefer to travel independently, but would rather have the freedom of a private car as opposed to bus/train.

Does anyone know how I can go about hiring a driver? How much would it cost per day? I speak fluent Chinese so don't need an English speaker. Is it better to hire one for Dali/Lijiang, fly to Kunming and hire a different one? Can anyone recommend a driver? There would be at least 2, possibly 4 of us on the trip.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Dali
Dali
Yunnan, China
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Kunming
Kunming
Yunnan, China
Yuanyang County
Yuanyang County
Yunnan, China
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver for Yunnan

Since you have four people in your group, to hire an experienced driver should be very helpful. I know one of them, and he is a tourism van driver. He worked for more than 10 years without any accident. Also he is very familiar to most of the amazing attractions and ethnic villages in Yunnan. In addition, he is a photographer.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver for Yunnan

And the car rental price is about 7600 yuan for 7 days, because it is the peak season for tourism now.

If u want book it, send me an Email: yunnantourol@gmail.com

Edited: 05 July 2014, 03:45
lijiang
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver for Yunnan

Hi , according to your plan , i suggest your a simple trip with transportatin ,hope it's useful for you also everyone who will come to Yunnan .

D1: arrive in Kunming , after chech in Hotel , take a day trip to Stone Forest , the cost for renting a good van about 500---600RMB/day . then you may take soft sleeper of train or by flight to Lijiang .

D2: one day trip to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain ( cable car to 4500m's glacier or 3700m's Yak Meadow , walking around Blue Moon Valley+ enjoy Lijiang Impression Show )

D3: one day ecotourism to Yuhu village , Baish village , Lahsi Lake , tibetan monastery .

D4: one day trip to Tiger Leaping Gorge and Shigu & first bend of Yangtze River .

D5: Half a day trip around Lijiang Ancient , Shuhe or Black Dragon Pool Park , then by car 1.5 hours to Shaxi , overnight in Shaxi Ancient Town .

D6: one day trip to Shibaoshan , Shaxi market , about 17:00pm , by car to Dali , overnight in Dali old city .

D7: one day trip to Caoshan Mountain , Three Pogodaes Temple + Erhai Lake , then by flight leave Dali to some other place as your plan .

The cost is 500---600RMB/day with good Van & good driver

.Sincerely

Naxi man from Lijiang

Edited: 06 July 2014, 05:32
Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Blue Moon Valley
Blue Moon Valley
170 Reviews
Lijiang, China
Yunnan Shaxi Ancient Town
Yunnan Shaxi Ancient Town
246 Reviews
Dali, China
Dali
Dali
Yunnan, China
Erhai Lake
Erhai Lake
479 Reviews
Dali, China
Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
114 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver for Yunnan

your 4 people, i suggest you to rent a small bus, the chinese cheaper 6 seats bus is about 700RMB per day, and the middle class with air condition bus is 850RMB per day.

I think 7 days in YunYang,KunMing,Dali,Lijiang is noy easy to finish, better add 1 - 2 days, so you can arrange 4days in yuanyang and jianshui, 4-5days in LIJiang,Dali and Shangri-la.

Yunan is one of best tourism destination, its ok travel without tourguide. we can share you informations as we are the local.

Theyaktraveller

Mentioned in this post
Kunming
Kunming
Yunnan, China
Dali
Dali
Yunnan, China
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
952 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver for Yunnan

Thanks for the advice! If it's just 2 of us, how much would a car cost?

We can either go next March/April, or Oct. Which times do you think would be better?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver for Yunnan

>>"We can either go next March/April, or Oct. Which times do you think would be better?"

October would be better for Dali and Lijiang. March and April are better for Yuanyang. Kunming is fine either time.

It makes most sense to travel between the cities on your own by train and bus. Then hire a car in each location. You will find a driver who has local knowledge that way.

Wait until after you arrive in each city to arrange transportation since you can speak the language. This will let you to hire someone who is local and you can shop around to get the best deal.

Mentioned in this post
Dali
Dali
Yunnan, China
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Yuanyang County
Yuanyang County
Yunnan, China
Kunming
Kunming
Yunnan, China
Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
114 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver for Yunnan

If you are 2 paople, i think a car is enough, the cost in KunMing and yuanyang area will be around 800RMB per day, and 700RMB perday around Dali,LiJiang.

compare with Octorber, March/April is the nice time with low cost.

Mentioned in this post
Kunming
Kunming
Yunnan, China
Yuanyang County
Yuanyang County
Yunnan, China
Dali
Dali
Yunnan, China
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
952 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver for Yunnan

Thanks! What's the best way to hire a driver once we arrive in a location? In past trips to China, I've usually relied on the hotel, but never needed one for more than half a day or so. Since we would need one for multiple days, can we get a better deal going to an agency? How about just picking a taxi driver at random -- is that pretty safe?

Mentioned in this post
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver for Yunnan

Judy, I usually inquire at my hotel.

But I also have asked taxi drivers that I've met randomly, especially if I like their manner and can understand their Chinese pretty well (lots of dialect spoken in Yunnan -- many drivers don't speak standard Putonghua 普通话。)In a city like Kunming, some drivers own their own car and can do what they please. Others work for a taxi company and can't go off on longer trips.

Sometimes I've booked through a local travel agency. Had best luck with small ones, and I prefer to do it face to face instead of over the internet. Seems to be less chance of misunderstandings.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 00:11
10. Re: Driver for Yunnan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17