We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The People of Barranquilla

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
The People of Barranquilla

We recently took a trip to Barranquilla during this year's Carnaval. We noticed that when it comes to organization, this city fails big time. You can go to any supermarket, restaurant, bank, or any other place where a line has to be formed in order for service and you will lose yourself! The people of Barranquilla have no respect when it comes to waiting for their turn. THEY DO NOT MAKE LINES! They just stand there in random order and yell out as loud as they can to be assisted without any regard at all to the others who've been waiting before them. I think if this city wishes to bring in more tourists for their Carnaval, they need to civilize themselves first.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The People of Barranquilla

Davie,the people of baranquilla aren't bothered by tourism mate,they just wanna enjoy themselves.the carnival is for them,not tripadvisor tourists..and latin people most definately don't behave like prudish brits or judgemental westerners,which may take some getting used to...but once you get into the rhythm i'm sure you'll see the fun side!

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The People of Barranquilla

I couldn't agree more..I only hope the area doesn't get spoilt by tourists expecting what they're used to at home.

I've been here nearly a month since Carnival and have found the locals to be amongst the friendliest most welcoming generous people in all my many years of travelling. Its going to be a struggle to leave the coast and the charm of Barranquilla.

To anyone who is thinking of coming up to the Caribbean coast please don't be put off by one persons unfortunate expectations of the local people to conform..why the hell should they?!!

Come check it out before the masses descend in all it's vibrant rustic glory!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The People of Barranquilla

exactly!...who the hell are travellers to expect things the way they want them!!!...talk about sad ,control freaks!!!!!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The People of Barranquilla

I am not from colombian so I dont know about there but not all cultures have the concept of 'waiting in line'

its not that they are rude it just not done like that

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The People of Barranquilla

sadly some tripadvisor" travellers" seem to expect that other cultures should "conform" to their cultural ways..(YES,UNBELIEVEABLE!!)..the question i have to ask is this....why on earth do these close minded control freaks travel in the first place??....i expect to find such people only staying in 5 star "international" hotels like the hilton,etc...same all over the world!!...DAVEY,if you can't hack different cultures,then stay home at your aunties you big moaner!!

Edited: 02 April 2011, 20:20
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The People of Barranquilla

in his defense he might not understand its a cultural difference

I have had a couple of situations inside my home country(USA)

where I felt a foreign born person was being rude

not waiting their turn in line

asking me for directions then just walking away like I work for them etc

other foreign born people explained its not always rudness but a cultural difference

I have also had experiences were I encountered foreign born people in my country and thought WOW these people are really polite

it made me a little ashamend of how some americans act and made me want to be a better person

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The People of Barranquilla

yes,but people that travel to foreign countries should not expect them to be like their own .without meaning to sound anti american,i noticed this sort of an attitude with americans in many foreign countries.it's almost like the americans think that their ways are somehow better and superior than these poorer countries,and that these people should somehow conform to their ways"for the sake of their tourist industry"????......ha ha ha ha !!!.......LMAO!!!!.>these same kinda tourists are the ones getting robbed in margarita...yes,the kind that think that margarita is just like the usa,( because it is of course expected " to be conformed as such")-again ,ha ha ha -LMAO!!

wise up folk,read about your travel destination in a lonely planet,and go there with an open mind..and leave your usa mindset in the usa,it doesn't belong anywhere else.no offence intended.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 07:55
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The People of Barranquilla

Wow, you have really no idea what life is! That is the beauty of Barranquilla the chaos! The fact that people in Quilla are not worried about what people think! Personally I think you need to go see a doctor to get that stick out of your culo.

I have been to Barranquilla twice, the second time I lived there for months and am returning there to live and marry my Colombian partner, I found the culture and the people absolutely beautiful, they are the most welcoming and friendly friendly people I have ever met in the world (and I have travelled quite extensively).

As has been said by many other people in this forum, if you cannot respect and admire other countries culture than stay in your own country, simple as that.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The People of Barranquilla

Not just a Colombian thing - same issues in panama, you learn to adapt.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The People of Barranquilla

I'm going to carnival this february and cannot wait as i've heard a lot of great things about Colombia. I've been to Salvador's carnival and it strikes me that this one is a lot more family friendly / folkloric? can anyone confirm this? It looks cool but am just wondering if it will be quite the young and buzzing as I'm hoping...

...in reply to the above feed, Davie I sympathise. I am a pretty experienced traveller (40+ countries (not that I'm boasting ha!)) but pushing in a queue and shouting to get seen to first is just rude and that will annoy me in Barranquilla if that is how it is. Manners do not cost anything people!