We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

I'd like to go to Barranquilla Carnival 2015. Do I need to buy tickets? Also, does anyone have any recommendations of where to stay? I'm wondering if any of the hotels/accommodation sell you a room including a ticket??? Many thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

I only went to the Barranquilla carnival for a couple of hours, by bus from Cartagena. I don't recommend doing it that way because it was a lot of travel time.

But we just arrived there without tickets just before the parade started, and some guys approached as, we went with the most trustworthy-looking one. We paid COP 12.500 (€6 / US$8 or so) per person including a seat on a raised stand, fantastic soup, empanadas and a few drinks each. Each stand is run by a group of people, I got the impression ours was run by a local family who loves to cook. Very friendly.

The atmosphere was great, people helped each other pass food and drinks to other people who were already sitting, or find better places for the small children to see better. The parade was fun. But whenever I read online that it's supposed to be the continent's best carnival after Rio, I wonder why... it was nice but I've seen much more spectacular things in Olinda, Recife and Salvador.

One tip: try to be on the shadowy side of the parade, with the sun in your back. That way you won't need to squint and it makes for better lighting for photos.

Outside the stand the atmosphere was a little bit dodgy, there were quite a lot of pickpockets and thieves, some were quite obviously trying to corner us but there were enough other people around so that we could dodge the thieves. Of course we stood out as foreigners too.

Best bring as little valuables as possible.

During the long (30 min+) taxi rides (twice) between the bus station and the parade we saw lots of parts of Barranquilla and it didn't seem like a pleasant city to me. Quite rough. But like I said we only spent those few hours there and didn't stay overnight.

Hope this helps.

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

I don't yet know about tickets but finding a reasonably priced hotel was very difficult. I finally ended up using Priceline to buy a 4 star mystery room. As I expected, it's a little far from the centre but has a good sized room and a pool which I figure we will need in the heat.

I hope someone else responds about carnival tickets because I, too, am interested/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

Ehm, Susan, maybe read reply #1?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

My boyfriend and I are going to Barranquilla Carnival 2015 also and I just came across this website (all in Spanish though) that sells tickets: vive.tuboleta.com/shows/show.aspx…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

Why buy in advance if you can buy on the spot for only $8?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

Well it is true that you weren't there long enough to evaluate anything in a few hours and a bus ride. Barranquilla is a beautiful city and an excellent place for tourists. Bus terminals arent generally in pleasant areas to live, the rent is cheap lol. Your trip was way too short to review and at least you agreed to that.. Come back in 2015 spend a couple days

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

Thank you very much everyone. We're very excited!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

There are plenty carnival events that do not require tickets.

Egg Harbor...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

I think Im going to have to wait to buy tickets there. specially for the concerts. I tried buying it online but it would decline my card, did the same thing to my friend. Not sure what the deal is with that.

BTW! if any cool group of friends are trying to meet up and party together, my friend and I are coming down from New Jersey for the carnival 2015. we are two dude in their early twenties. We are both colombians but not from barranquilla. whats app: 16092149923 .

10. Re: Do you need tickets for Barranquilla Carnival 2015?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 January 2016, 22:35