We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

Denver, CO
12 posts
Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

Here are some suggestions that might help future Barranquilla Carnival goers since we didn’t find much prior info. Hope this helps.

Book your accommodations months ahead. The day before the parade we went to the Tuboleta ticket office and each paid about $100US for 3-days in Palco 12 (bleachers) on the shady side. We bypassed more expensive offers that included food packages and avoided scalpers outside their office.

Bring your camera, sunscreen and some taxi and food money, nothing valuable. Security screened tickets blocks before the entrance and the only opportunity to buy tickets at the event was from a few scalpers. Each pair of palcos had their separate entrance behind the bleachers. They didn’t let food or drinks in but you could buy food inside. We received a tshirt, hat and small bag. There was live music and some performers staged photo shoots while we waited for the parade to start around 1 or 2p.

Pay more for palco tickets on the shady side. Get there early since seats are not assigned. We were lucky to be across from tv commentators where performers stopped to pose for their cameras. Head to the back row if you need back support, but the tarp overhang can obscure your pictures. We preferred the front row and two hours was all we could take on the hard bleacher seats. Portable toilets were gender specific, very clean and medical and security personnel were present. Carnival souvenirs were available at a market along Calle 72 by the Estadio Olimpico Romelio Martinez, not at the parade. Streets were blocked so there was some walking. Taxis were easier to find on side streets and drivers didn’t overcharge. The three of us each had cameras so it was great having 3 sets of pictures to choose from and so many photo opps. Colombians were friendly and helpful on our 10 day travels through Barranquilla, Cartagena and Bogota. This was my fourth annual world carnival.

Day one, Saturday: Batalla de Flores: This was the most heavily attended day. We saw a procession of dancers, bands on trucks and colorful floats. We didn’t see any flower battles or even “flour” battles we’d read about. A few people sprayed foam but mostly on family members and friends.

Day 2: Gran Parada de Tradicion: Beautiful costumes and participation by all ages and areas

Day 3: Gran Parada de Fantasia: We called this “Las Vegas” day with all the glitter and feathers

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

Hi,

1. So is this Carnival worth to go??

2. Also what is "Palco" that you mentioned above?

3. What is the best time to arrive there? And how long is this carnival thing?

4. Do you know if there is an official website to buy the tickets online in advance?

I would like to see the Carnival. But we will stay in Cartagena. We know there's gonna be a carnival days after we booked our flight (ugh!). Do you know how long is the bus from Cartagena to Barranquilla on the carnival day?

Thanks a lot.

Denver, CO
12 posts
2. Re: Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

1. So is this Carnival worth to go?? yes,it showcases the highlights of Colombia's culture and arts.

2. Also what is "Palco" that you mentioned above? bleachers where you sit

3. What is the best time to arrive there? And how long is this carnival thing? We were glad we arrived the day before carnival started. I think the parades went on 4 days but 3 was enough. There are also pre activities leading up to the parades.

4. Do you know if there is an official website to buy the tickets online in advance? You can google Tuboleta closer to the event.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

Thank you for your response.

We might only able to go there 1 day. Which day is the best day to see the parade?

Denver, CO
12 posts
4. Re: Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

I liked Batalla de Flores which I think is the first day of the parades. Buy tickets ahead. I didn't see them for sale at the parade ground.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
226 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

Thank you for the detailed advice! My husband and I are headed to Colombia last-minute for a 7-day trip in early February and hope to make it to at least one day of Carnival!

6. Re: Barranquilla 2015 Carnival Notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2017, 05:17