We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Placement!

La Paz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Placement!

So I just found out I am going to be teaching in Baranquilla! At first I was told Santa Marta (which was perfect because I had spent a week in Santa Marta last year) but I am not disheartened with Baranquilla.

However, I have never been to Baranquilla and I have no idea what it is like!

Are they similar? Is it easy access to the beach?

Is it expensive?

Thanks.

Nick.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Placement!

Baranquilla will have similar prices to Santa Marta. I like the place for a party and the people; if I had to live there I could,however it is not a place I would choose to live in Colombia given the other options. To your advantage, you are only 2 hours from Cartagena and Santa Marts, not too bad. El Prado is a nicer area of town, sort of around the Buena Vista shopping centre area.

The beaches in / around Baranquilla are hardly anything to rave about unfortunately. It is set on a river (Magdelena) flowing out into the Ocean. The better ones, are out of the city (Puerto Colombia).

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Placement!

Barranquilla is also the main maritime entry and exit point for goods in Colombia. Rio Magdalena + cargo ships = Not the nicest beaches.

Barranquilla may not be the most elegant city in Colombia, but baranquilleros are said to be the most festive and welcoming people.

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Placement!

Barranquilla is a much larger city than both Cartagena and Santa Marta.

The Good:

It is a commercial/lndustrial center with a much larger middle class than the other two cities. It is much more affordable than Cartagena and probably Santa Marta. It has bars, discos, golf clubs, shopping centres, a zoo, very nice restaurants and hotels. You will always find something to do. Barranquilleros are also the most welcoming and happy people you can find.

The Bad:

Its just a plain ugly city. No beach, no real green zones. Not as safe as Cartagena or Santa Marta.

4. Re: Placement!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2017, 06:17