We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicamocha Canyon

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chicamocha Canyon

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of visiting Chicamocha canyon. I'll be flying into Bucaramanga on a Sunday afternoon and moving on to Barichara either that day or the next. It would be great to stop enroute but I'll have luggage to deal with. Are there any nice accommodations near the park or would a better option be to hire a taxi in Bucaramanga and have him wait with my bags and then move on? Can anyone tell me if there are usually crowds on Sunday? Would I be better off backtracking from Barichara during the week?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicamocha Canyon

The main road from Bucaramanga passes right by the teleférico up to the park, so I presume you could get off the bus there and visit, providing you are happy to leave your bags. There did not appear to be anywhere other then the teleférico itself in the vicinity.

We did think of visiting from Barichara which, with an early start, would have been easy enough via San Gil. We never got round to it, as we enjoyed hanging out in Barichara and doing some walks from there.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicamocha Canyon

I could not get the park website to work just now, but here's the link anyway:

http://www.parquenacionaldelchicamocha.com/

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicamocha Canyon

Thanks Londinense. Do you have any recollection as to how long the trip from Barichara is?

BTW, I noticed you list Barichara as one of your favorite destinations! Cool! Do you have any insider tips for me? I plan to do the walk to Guane and am wondering about Chorrera National Park.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicamocha Canyon

We flew in to Bucaramanga from Medellin, stayed one night there (can't remember the name, but I reviewed it here on TA). The next morning we took a bus to San Gil. This was a through bus, so since we told them we were heading to Barichara, we were dropped off at the bridge on the highway and walked over to the local buseta station. This saved us backtracking from the San Gil bus station. We were there by early afternoon.

The busetas all stop in the main square in Barichara and you can find out times from there. Those to the smaller villages are not that frequent. To San Gil, every hour at least.

In Barichara we stayed at El Caracol, but there was a possibility the owners were going to close it. It wasn't especially cheap, but one of the owners was Spanish and a professional chef, so we ate there quite a bit. He was talking of opening a restaurant in lieu of the B&B.

There are several other, modest places to eat in town, as well as a nice cafe on the square, with good coffee and cakes.

It's a village for just wandering around. We did meet a Swedish woman, at least I think she was Swedish, or Dutch, who has lived there a long time and designs beautiful furniture. Her store/workshop is a little out from the centre, but I am sure people would be able to direct you to it.

We only visited San Gil for the day and a drought meant the rafting was virtually non-existent. We thought San Gil fairly nondescript.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 16:31
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicamocha Canyon

I love those towns!!!!

6. Re: Chicamocha Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Bucaramanga