We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

I am already two months in Cali and by now I can recommend a few things regarding Salsa in this town.

Salsa schools:

Apparently there are hundreds of them in Cali but it is not easy to find them.

Here are a few that are popular within foreigners:

“Son de Luz” is a small school in the Alameda neighbourhood (quite in the center) that specializes in giving private lessons (there are also group lessons). I am already dancing the Cuban salsa style so I was very glad that the main teacher and owner named Luz (light) explained to me the differences between the styles with a lot of details. It is the first time in my life that I take private lessons in anything and I must admit that the lessons are effective, I get corrected with the mistakes immediately and it saves me a lot of time.

Prices are cheap. 30000 pesos (17 dollars) for one hour of private lesson and there are discounts if you buy several of them.

Address: Calle 7 # 27-32 not far from the metro-bus station Manzana del saber, Estadio and more.

Another school is “El Manicero” very near the metro-bus station Tequendama (address Calle 5 # 39-71). El Manicero gives group lessons, 4 times a week and each lesson takes 2 hours. It is fun, there are Colombians and foreigners in the class. Price is cheap: 7000 pesos if you pay per lesson and much less if you pay monthly.

There is also the school “Swing Latino” which has a worldwide reputation and its members give shows. This school is more expensive, I have no experience with them.

As for the Salsa clubs : Many of the Salsa clubs are out of town and not in Cali center, because of noise laws (la ley zanahoria). One recommended Salsa club which is in the center is “Tin Tin Deo” and the best day to be there is Thursday night. On this night there are good dancers and a lot of foreigners.

Here you can see a video in Tin tin deo :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CHYvPQSQwQ

There is another recommended club with good level of dance, it is called Brisas in the Jamondi district, on mondays, It is completely out of town and it cost quite a lot to get there by taxi, so it’s better to share one with other people.

Salsa culture is very strong in Colombia, you can hear salsa music everywhere, at breakfast, in the bus, in the shops just everywhere but very few Colombians are taking Salsa lessons, so in most salsa clubs (and in Cali, almost all clubs are Salsa) the people can just make very basic steps.

You can look a this page with explanations about the different salsa styles:

http://www.langeasy.com/spanish7/salsa.html

37 replies to this topic
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

A thread about salsa in Cali, and I don't see Juanchito mentioned at all??? The number one salsa club district in town (and in Colombia)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

Yes, I heard that Juanchito is a good place and I still didn’t visit it.

There are 2 things bothering me with places like Juanchito:

1. It is out of town. I don’t like to travel out of town with taxis in order to dance salsa.

2. It is one of those places with “social dancing”, which means that the majority of the dancers have never taken salsa classes in their lives and they are just doing basic steps, during hours, one in front of the others, and girls can hardly handle salsa turns. Unfortunately, this is the case with most salsa clubs in Colombia.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

You don´t need to take classes to dance salsa in Colombia,imo the dance floor is for everyone...even toothless abuelitas shuffle their pantuflas to the groove. If you get an invite to party with the pueblo you will discover the true Colombia.Salsa like any dance is a freedom of expression

Edited: 23 March 2013, 15:55
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

You are absolutely right in that. The Salsa scene in Colombia is different.

In Europe, the Salsa clubs are semi-professionals in the sense that most people who are attending the clubs have also taken some classes. In Colombia, there are some great dancers who even become world champions, but they are the exception, most people who are attending the salsa clubs can only do some basic steps.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

Update:

I have prepared special pages about the Salsa in Cali. They include schools and clubs of Salsa in Cali and also a personal view of how is Cali City :

www.langeasy.com/salsa/co/en/salsa4.html

Read also, the page about Salsa in Colombia, how it differs from Salsa in other countries :

www.langeasy.com/salsa/co/en/salsa3.html

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

Have you taken in La Feria de Cali, if so did you enjoy it?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

No, haven't been at la Feria de Cali, it s happening in Decembers as I understand.

Bogota, Colombia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

In Cali and the rest of Colombia salsa is all about feeling, feeling the song, feeling the rythem and feeling your partner - usually romantically or sexually.

The foriegners that come are often disapointed at the lack of fancy turns and such, but they miss the sublter points and if they have taken too many classes back home they often end up looking like a show off with no rythem or sense of music.....Salsa in Colombia is for enjoying life, not for counting in your head and memorizing patterns, if you want that you should stay in boring old Europe.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 05:38
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

Being romantic is easy.

The real stuff is this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DENIuASduhE

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia

Dancing in Colombia is for everyone, no matter the skill level or age, it seems everyone likes to, and they will dance anywhere there is music. Have been to a number of Salsa clubs in Medellin and Cali, have seen all skill levels, nobody cares if you have 2 left feet as long as you give it a try.

Reply to: Salsa schools and Clubs in Cali, Colombia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted