We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pasto, is it worth the effort?

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
842 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Pasto, is it worth the effort?

Pasto, is it a good destination for those who love to hike?

Jun 27, 2014, 4:50 PM

For those who know is it worth the effort to come from Bogota. I have three weeks in Colombia, I will stay in Cafetera for 6 days. Would love to visit Pasto but the bus trip is too much. I will have to return from Armenia (already have Bog.-Armenia ticket) to Bogota and then to PSO airport. What are your thoughts about the city? I like quiet towns with good restaurants and good hiking around, not overnight hiking but two to three hours in duration. Thanks.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 21:55
Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Armenia
Armenia
Quindio Department, Colombia
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
842 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pasto, is it worth the effort?

Para los que saben es que vale la pena el esfuerzo de venir desde Bogotá. Tengo tres semanas en Colombia, me quedaré en Cafetera durante 6 días. Me encantaría volver a visitar San Juan de Pasto, pero el viaje en autobús es demasiado. Voy a tener que volver desde Armenia (ya tienen billete Bog.-Armenia) a Bogotá y luego al aeropuerto de PSO. ¿Cuáles son sus pensamientos sobre la ciudad? Al igual que las ciudades tranquilas con buenos restaurantes y una buena caminata alrededor, sin hacer senderismo durante la noche, pero dos o tres horas de duración. Gracias.

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Armenia
Armenia
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pasto, is it worth the effort?

Well, is there any particular reason Pasto is on your list? Pasto isn't an exactly quiet little town. From what I recall, the population is around 500,000 people. So you can toss out any notions of idyllic cobblestone streets and pretty houses with tiled roofs. Honestly, Pasto is used as a steppingstone into Ecaudor by most travelers. There isn't much in the way of tourist infrastructure, and there are much more interesting places to check out in that part of Colombia.

If you are going that way no matter what and want to spend a few days checking out that part of Colombia, then I would suggest Mocoa. it's a pretty little town, with some beautiful hikes in the area. Furthermore, there is a nice hostel that you can see many birds and animals from (I saw Toucans, 2 different monkey species and parrots from the hostel ground).

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pasto, is it worth the effort?

I liked San Gil better than Pasto and it is closer to Bogota. We did some great hikes out of Salento, 1 was very muddy tho so hire the boots, but did see lots of hummingbirds. If you go to Salento you have to have the peanut butter brownie from Brunch.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 13:36
Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Salento
Salento
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
842 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pasto, is it worth the effort?

2roos: Thanks for your post. I want to visit Australia and NZ but it's way too far. I get down to Chile & Argentina and that's far enough. Too old now for that! Cheers!

5. Re: Pasto, is it worth the effort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17