We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belfast
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Could someone please advice on where to get a boat from Cartagena to Panama.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

We went with Gypsy Moth, which was $475 for five full days aboard the boat, but they take some money off if you can find more travellers for the trip, which is great.

Amy and Symian and their cuter than cute baby, Hallie, are the owners of the yacht, which is 54ft and in really good condition. We looked at a few of the other options, including a large catamaran and a much smaller yacht (which was actually taking the same amount of people as us), but neither matched it for space or cleanliness. We had the cabin at the front of the boat, which has a bit more privacy, and the other two groups (another couple and two friends) had their own sleeping space too, which is uncommon in these backpacker boats.

Check out their page on Facebook, as I don't think they have a website yet: http://www.facebook.com/gypsymothsailing

Sym and Amy are really friendly and laid back. Oh, and GREAT cooks too! We ate three different healthy, hearty meals each day and they had beer and spirits on board to buy, if you don't want to bring your own.

Can't stress how pleased me and my boyfriend were with the trip. We'd read mixed reviews for almost every other San Blas boat we'd looked into, so were expecting difficulties, but thankfully had absolutely no complaints. They made everyone feel really at home, and having the baby there made it feel like we were one big family. There was a great combination of relaxing in hammocks on the boat with books (they have a decent little library too), 3 full days in the San Blas to snorkel and explore, and fun nights of sitting up (adults only by this point!), chatting, playing games,having the odd drink (or three), moonlit wake boarding... whatever you're into, basically!

Panama
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Hey guys, thanks so much for your lovely comments. Hope your trip is going well. We have had a few of people do the trip lately who met you and said you recommended us, so big thanks again. x

Naas, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Myself and 3 friends got the Gypsy Moth from Panama to Cartegena in mid July 2011. It was great from the start! Amy and Symian are so welcoming that you can't but feel at home once you board. We spend 3 days sailing around San Blas which was just amazing and then 2 days at sea en route to Cartegena. We had heard horror stories about sleeping conditions and food on various boats so we were delighted to find out the boat takes a total of 8 people max which leaves plenty of space for your belongings etc. Both Amy and Symian are excellent cooks and you were never in need for food at any time of the day. I don't think we had even one meal where there wasn't food left over. The various meals were a welcome treat after 4 months travelling through Central America. The 2 days at sea were rough to say the least but Amy and Symian were fantastic at making you feel at ease and we all felt completely safe under their protection no matter how rough the seas got! Cannot express enough how pleased we were with the whole trip. It was without a doubt a highlight of our travels, thanks guys!

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

We went on the Gypsy Moth sailing trip in July and in one word: FANTASTIC!

It really was our favourite tour so far after having travelled in south and central America for 3 months. A great combination of relaxing, snorkelling, wakeboarding, lovely food and meeting others. Would highly recommend it!

London
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

From day one of our trip we were really looking forward to the prospect of a sailing adventure between Colombia and Panama via the San Blas Islands. And luckily on our trip with Gypsy Moth we were not at all dissapointed. I say luckily because although most are priced similarly (around $450), there can be a great difference between the standards of each boat´s service. Sym and Amy (our captains) made our trip everything we hoped it would be and more. The boat is their home, along with their very well behaved and cute one year old Hallie. As you would expect with a little one around the boat is in tip top shape, clean, comfortable and safe. Sym has a wealth of sailing experience (even once during the trip rescuing another captain´s boat off the reef) and we felt very secure and well looked after in his hands. The boat holds eight as well as them which was a great sociable number without being over crowded, which I´ve heard other boats can be. We each had a comfortable, clean bed (doubles for couples), bathroom with shower, kitchen space and plenty of deck to sit and read and sunbathe. Amy has a good selection of books for you to read on board. By chance we also had a fantastic group of people on board, had so much fun and were sad to leave everyone by the end of the trip. Two days of sailing out at sea, watching the sun set and sitting under the stars with no land in sight. Followed by three more blissfull days of island hopping in the Sand Blas, with deserted beaches and crystal clear caribbean sea. They have all the kit on board for you to use for snorkelling, fishing and wake boarding as you wish. They took us to some lovely spots to snorkel on the reefs and a couple of boat wrecks. To our excitement and food pleasure, we caught a big yellow fin tuna out at sea which Sym barbequed on the beach one night. Delicious! On top of that we had three good meals a day, generous portions and delicious. I´m a veggie and my travel buddy a meat eater, and we were both very well catered for. They recommend you bring your own booze and soft drinks on board. We found there was plenty of social times in the evening when the rum flowed freely and everyone had a great laugh. Over all a rather faultless trip with memories we will always remember with a smile.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

We are planning to do the Cartagena to Panama crossing in mid- October and are still waiting for sailingdates to be confirmed. Anyone else interested in similar dates???

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

I just returned from a sailing trip with Cool Runnings II and it was the worst experience I have had & an unfortunate ending to my 3 month travelling stint around South America. I would not recommend them for many reasons - awful skipper who was rude, uptight, obnoxious. He made vulgar comments using derogatory language considering there were females on board. We actually saw the gypsy moth & the people from that group looked like they were having a great time.

8. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 13:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

You should contact Casa Viena Hostel or check out their website, they have dates of sail boats leaving from Cartagena.

Duesseldorf
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

i can t agree on that at all. i jut arrived in cartagena after a five days sailing trip with cool running II. sandra and george (the skippers) are such lovable, fun and kind people. we had an amazing time on board. we were 8 people, five girls and three guys and we all laughed our head off the whole day. they took us to various islands, two several snorkling places and explained us so much about sailing in general and the area we sailed through. every single day we got three till five different meals and one was more delicious than the other, i can t even find words for that!

we all had a perfect time and i can t imagine a better boat!

i can t even believe, that you are talking about the same peolpe, because sandra and george are just goregous!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN HIGHLY RECOMMEND COOLRUNNING II FOR THE SAILING TRIP!

in my eyes, and i am totally sure al the others on board agree with that: coolrunnings is a perfect boat and it was one of the best experience on my whole trip. i couldnt think of one single thing they could have done better! it was jut perfect,

Bommi

Edited: 12 September 2011, 03:33