We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DR9
Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Looking at packages in January. The Big Red Travel warning is scary for some. Any worries??

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Nope.I'm not worried bc that's a US gov. warning! Cartagena is very safe They like to keep the tourists happy...what's with all the buzz re;Occ - Grand?

Chek out a recent thread on this subject.

If I re-call it's far away from the old city.A week in the sun will melt away your problems, relax & enjoy Colombia 8-)

K...

DR9
Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Thanks. $1900 taxes in per couple out of Toronto in January could be the answer to why all the interest :)

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Nice,as long as the hotel offers a free shuttle into town(30-40 min) just my opinion,the big draw for most is the atmosphere of the old city.

At that price you should have lots of(Canadian) company.At least your close to the Volcan de Lodo(El Totumo)mud volcano.I would recommend an extra week in order to see more of this amazing country ;-)

Enjoy

K...

http://seecolombia.travel/blog/

Edited: 16 September 2011, 17:40
canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

The scarest thing about Cartagena, Colombia.....you will lose your heart and fall in love with this wonderful city and it's amazing people. That is what the travel warning should read. I agree with the other post however, you want easy access to the Historic city, it is fabulous and one or two visits will not be enough to take it all in

Clinton ON
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

How is the beach at the resort?? Are there many day trips?? ex...snokeling, ATVs, etc.. and how much would they cost.

canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Lynn,

Check out this link it should show the beaches, the Occidental Grand is run by Estelar Hotels/Resorts and I think this link shows more pictures than the Occidental Grand link. The beaches are sandy, not rocky, but they are not white sand, they are sand colored sand, so when it is wet looks dirty, but they are not. The water is bath water temp, but not clear like you would think of when considering the Caribbean, the water is clean. Here is the link :

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g297476-d2266751…

There are day trips to the Historic City, walled city built in the 1500's and they have been busy restoring for years, awesome architecture. There are fantastic places to eat in the walled city and most people take a horse and carriage ride through the old city at least once. You can day trip the Rosario Islands(snorkeling, etc) the lowest price I found was around $45.US a person, you have to catch the boat in Cartagena, which is 20 minutes away from this resort. We also did the mud volcano, totally bizzare and it was $30-40 dollars a person and included lunch and transport. That resort also has a shuttle to the Historic City, do not know times and if there is a cost..The resort istself is brand new has several pools and friendly staff.

toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Visited Cartagena Feb 2011...Fabulous...very safe..great food...great people.

Booked again for Feb 2012 @ Occidental Grand. The hotel offers a free shuttle bus to and from the old city. Can't seem to find any reviews, as flights from Toronto to Cartagena start early Dec... Enjoy

Guelph
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Pepita01 We have also booked our first trip to Cartegena @ the Occidental Grand. We are leaving Toronto on Feb. 27. What day are you leaving? We will be going daily into the old city. So much to see and do.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

Our group is booked for March 2012...can't wait !

london, ont
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it Safe - Occidental Grand

hello..we have booked occidental grand cartagena ...feb..we were wondering what you would take to tip the staff..if its money..is it american?? or canadian?? or their money...or could you take stuff ..like in cuba we took pencils and pany hose and soap and such..etc..what do u suggest? do they have peanut butter and ketchup?? some places don't...any info would be appreciated..must sees..must dos...

thanks for your time...