We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

Hello, I know this message board was closed a while back - on cooking classes in cartagena - but we are looking to take one in the next few days. Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

I wish I could help you. I just wanted to say that a Colombian cooking class is an awesome idea! :)

Cartagena, Bolivar...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

Hi matnjen.

Your best option is to go on a tour with Jorge Escandon, the guy that owns the Cevicheria and took Anthony Bourdain around town when he was in the city. He will take you to the market, show you how to buy really fresh fish and then take you back to his place on the beach to prepare Ceviche. It's a great day. If you want me to organise it for you drop me a line.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

How do you organize this? I am interested.

4. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 11:34
DC
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

Hello,

I'm going to Cartegena from March 6-13 and I would be interested in a cooking class as well. Please share deatails if you are still organizing.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

I took an amazing cooking class with Jorge Escandon, the chef/owner of La Cevicheria and Anthony Bourdain's guide in the Columbia episode of No Reservations. I HIGHLY recommend it -- it was our favorite activity of the entire vacation.

Email his assistant Fadia at fachito@hotmail.com. Here were the details of our cooking class that she emailed us when we originally booked:

More than a Tour this is a Cultural experience that will let you know the authentique scene of the city, the people and food.

-Gastronomic Tour beggins at 10 am. Jorge will pick you up at the hotel.

- Duration: 5 hrs max

- You Will be transport to the main popular market of the city at 15 min from the old city.

- The tour in the market takes 1hr 15 min, where you will experience with all the types of fish of the colombian coast, sea food, vegetables and try some exotic fruits of the region. Also you will deal with local people and listen to local music, see the traditional cookers and have a full view of the local culture.

- After the market experience you will go to Jorge`s own house in front of the beach ( at 25 min far from the city), where you will get some lessons about caribbean cooking and with him you will prepare you delicious meal with fresh sea food ( sea food , coconut paella, ceviches, etc), with fresh local juices, mojitos and the caribbean wind. Also you can take a bath at the beach or take some sun at the terrace.

Have fun!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

What was the cost?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

I think $140, but it may have changed since I took the class.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

Tell the chef he needs to head up to Medellin to give classes to the locals here,

They over cook everything.

10. Re: Looking for cooking classes in Cartagena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 14:49
Edited: 22 January 2013, 14:49