We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emeralds - Where to buy

Guelph
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Emeralds - Where to buy

Can any of the regular travellers to Cartagena recommend a reputable emerald jeweller? I am looking for a necklace for my daughter, a necklace for a baby and an emerald stone on its own. As this is our first trip to Cartegena I would appreciate any recommendations that you can provide. Thanks in advance.

42 replies to this topic
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

Joyeria Caribe, which is just off of San Martin in the Bocagrande neighbourhood.

You should still know a little about what you're doing if you want to get a good emerald.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 02:20
cartagena
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

Hi,

My wife has worked more than 15 years in many jewellery in Cartagena and she can assist you to find want you want by free. Normally, the price is between 5 to 10 times the real price and with her you can get quality and good price without commission.

Guelph
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

We had a lessson on what we are to look for from our own jeweller whom we deal with on a regular basis. They purchase their own emeralds from Colombia. We are interested who is reputable and really want to get emeralds in Colombia. Where is the Bocagrande neighbourhood? Old or new Cartegena?

cartagena
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

The spots where you can find many jewellry are in Laguito at the Commercial Center Pierino Gallo. 3 or 4 jewelleries there.

Second place is just front of the Cathedral in the centro (Santo de Piedra or de la Iglesia street), there are at least 8 jewellery.

If you already bought emeralds from Colombia, you mus known who is reputable, no ???

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

Don't think they mentioned they had bought jewelry in Colombia, but their jewelers did...

Guelph
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

Maya you are correct. It is our jeweller who had purchased emeralds This is our first trip to Colombia and we just wanted advise on where to purchase them. Thanks for all the information.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

Bocagrande is in the newer part of Cartagena; it is the more touristy part. Laguito is the area right next to it so you could go to Joyeria Caribe and walk to the shops that Bacanao speaks of in Laguito. It's about a 10 minute walk. Mr. Emerald, Lee Miles, runs one of the shops in Laguito and a lot of the cruise ship tours will go there or to Joyeria Caribe.

Lots of shopping in the Bocagrande area as well. I've bought several items from Joyeria Caribe and have been very happy with their product and their service.

cartagena
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

If your jeweller had purchased emeralds in Colombia... you mus know who and where from him ? This was my question.

Did you ask him more details ?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

If your local jeweller buys emeralds from Colombia on a regular basis..why not purchase an emerald from them?Have you checked out my various posts on buying emeralds in Colombia?...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emeralds - Where to buy

Joyeria cosquez owned by Mr. Felipe. The family is amazing. They will give you the best rates. Several stores in Cartagena. Start with the one in bolivar plaza. Beg private 79 percent off the written price. They will give it to you. They will call Felipe, and he will approve it. He is an honest and excellent business man.

Reply to: Emeralds - Where to buy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted