We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

We have only a day unfortunately to spend in Cartagena. We are trying to decide whether to take a tour of the old city or just head for the Rosario islands and coastal beaches which we are told are lovely.

Any suggestions for two Aussies a long way from home?

We will be in Cartagena in four days from this listing.

Guianza Express Tours Guides Y Transportation
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Cartagena E Brasil
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Hire
Free Biking Tour Cartagena
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

After coming all the way from Australia, I would definitely suggest seeing the old city, enjoying the atmosphere, culture and history. I don't think you would regret it. I'm sure you've seen lots of nice beaches, but the old city is what is unique and beautiful (and this is coming from a beach lover).

Edited: 29 November 2012, 15:09
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

I understand they have beaches in Australia. So you might want to check out the walled city, most of which dates back to the 16th century and has been beautifully restored.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

Thank you both so much. Really appreciated.

CA
Level Contributor
189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

Definitely visit Old Town and San Diego! that's the beauty of Cartagena. No tour needed......it's a walking city. We loved it!!

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

I agree, just stay in the city. Cartagena beaches are just OK but the city centre is really nice and vibrant at night.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

I also would definitely visit the Walled City. The atmosphere, the colours, the street vendors, the balconies and the people are amazing. And you shouldn´t miss a walk on the wall and the sunset from there.

Here are some impressions of the city:

http://www.ticartagena.com/en/galleries

7. Re: Coast and islands or visit to the old city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 17:15