We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Ontario
6 posts
Save Topic
Tipping

How much it the appropriate amount to tip in Columbia? Should we take American money or get the local money.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Hey,

in restaurants usually the tip is included. It´s 10%.

And get local money. You can´t pay with Dollars.

Have a save trip!!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

You can pay with dollars in some places, but it is FAR better to get local money once you get there. It is a disadvantage to Colombians (in exchange rates charged) to even tip them in dollars. Tip in pesos whenever possible.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

10% is generally standard in Colombia, outside of tourist areas tips generally are not added to the bill, many Colombians wont tip at all when having lunch at a small local restaurant, it is not required to tip a taxi, 1 mill pesos is fine if you want, of course you can always tip more. - certainly wont offend anyone,

But always in pesos

Turners Falls...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Tip in Pesos.

Many of the better restaurants include a service charge. It is listed right on the bill. Just ask if you don't know.

They will tell you.

It usually isn't too much

We tipped 10% + depending on the service if it wasn't included.

Small family places (the real Colombia) don't often have a bill and don't include a service charge when they quote you the amount. If your Spanish is weak ask them to write it out for you.

Don't be cheap! These servers, the maids where you stay, the taxi driver who quotes you a fair fare, the man who helps you find an address, all can use a tip and will really appreciate it.

Tad

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

i find my knees knocking when it comes tip time in a new venue...what i do at restaurants is observe what the locals do when it comes bill paying time...but still i'm usually unsure of whether i donegood or not

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Tippin in colombia is 10%. places are obligated by law to ask you if you wish to incluide the service charge specially if you are payinv with credit card. If the service was exceptional do no more than 15%. Americans tend to overtip since in usa 18-20% is the standard. Of course people will apreciate any tip, but if travelers start overtipping and over paying for services and products, colombia wont be as afordable as as right now. I just came back from 2 weeks vacation in medellin and coffee Tippin in colombia is 10%. places are obligated by law to ask you if you wish to incluide the service charge specially if you are pauing with credit card. If the service was exceptional do no more than 15%. Americans tend to overtip since in usa 18-20% is the standard. Of course people will apreciate any tip, but if travelers start overtipping and over paying for services and products, colombia wont be as afordable as is right now. I just came back from 2 weeks vacation in medellin and coffee triangle and we always tipped the maid at the hotel with 1 or 2 dollars per nite, the taxi driver rounding the fare to the next thousand pesos or so, 10% in restaurants etc.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

maia43 mentioned tipping "the man who helps you find an address". I believe it is the worst of ideas. Would you tip someone giving you directions in Canada? No? Then why in Colombia?

I am myself living in a pretty touristic city, and I am just pleased to try and help out tourists when I am being asked for directions. I would feel debased if someone was to tip me.

More generally, colombians do not tip. I usually hang out with locals, and tipping is quite unusual. Relax, unlike in North America, you won't get any bad comment or angry looks if you don't tip, let alone if you feel you were cheap at tipping. It will never be worse than with locals!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

right on stephan....the colombians i hang with laugh at our yankee tipping customs.

9. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 07:16