We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old town or Boca Grande

San Diego
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Old town or Boca Grande

Looking at spending about a week of a honeymoon trip in Cartagena. Any thoughts on pros/cons of each location? I gather that Boca grande is nearer to beaches but old town has more charm. Any info appreciated

Haslett, Michigan
Level Contributor
196 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

Stay in Old Town if you really want to get a feel for Cartagena. Old Town and Bocagrande are exact opposites. Bocagrande is made up largely of high rise, modern hotels restaurants and tourist shops. It is very busy, loud, and full of tourists. The beaches at Bocagrande are not that great and the water is not that clean. Old Town is the historic center of Cartagena. Most of the old buildings have been preserved, at least on the outside. It is surrounding by a wall and forts. There are many small hotels and B&B's; and many restaurants. Many areas of Old Town are relatively quiet, but there are also a number of plazas/parks surrounded by restaurants and bustling with activity. We stayed at Tres Banderas B&B last September for a little over $100 per night and were very pleased. Check out the reviews for the hotels to get a feel for what is available.

The reason to go to Cartagena is to see all of the historic building, forts, sites, and museums. Staying in Old Town will give you a much better feel for this beautiful city. If nice beaches are really important to you, there are much better places to visit.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

If you prefer historic values - the old city has it all, atmosphere and charm..

If you want a nicer beach in Bocagrande try the Castillo beaches facing Tierrabomba,less vendors, clearer water and less waves.

milan
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

old town...boca grande isn't beautiful, there are the beaches but not nice ones...

stay in the old town definitely

San Diego
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

Hey thanks for the tips. I was pretty sure I wanted to be in the Old Town but I think your responses convinced my fiancé. :)

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

Old town is the place to be.. nice hotels from decent till very nice. Boca grande beaches are not that nice. However you are going for a week so you might wanna stay on the islands who do have beautiful beaches. For example hotel Decameron on Isla Baru near Playa Blanca.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

Old town, and maybe one night overnight on Playa Blanca. You can get there by speedboat.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

I just finished up ten days in Boca Grande and I am moving to the old city. Boca Grande is really noisy. A car alarm seems to go off every ten minutes, and people are slow at turning them off. Locals drive with one hand on their horn. The beach vendors are really aggressive and a few can get snarly when you decline their goods. I recommend staying in the old city and then taking a beach excursion for a few days to Rosario Island or one of the other resorts out of town.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

I personally like Bocagrande, but for a first time visitor the walled city is probably the best choice. Just be a aware that prices are rather high for what you get.

9. Re: Old town or Boca Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:20